Community discussions

MikroTik App

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Hardware recommendation to network a 9 Flat building for common www access plus intercom (and surveillance)

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Hallo,
I have been told that the mikrotik is quite sophisticate hardware what could fullil my requirements. I read MikroTik CRS328-24P-4S+RM Review 24-port PoE and 4x 10GbE Switch but being concerned by So my question, is the CRS328 cabable to serve 1Gbit/s to 7 VLANs and do a VLAN2VLAN Routing (briding not siwtching :) )between the Intercom and some of the VLANs, Firewall, IGMP snooping etc. May a need a separate Router?

My requirements are:
  • The intercom devices can be powered via 802.af (it will probably be a 2N system)
    • 1 or 2 outdoor units (max. 13 W each)
    • 7 to 9 7 to 9 indoor units (max 12 W rather less)
  • maybe 2 to 4 IP cams for underground garage and entrance area surveillance
  • The devices are installed in the technical room of the apartment building. Noise is therefore not a problem
  • each flat is connected with fibreglass.
    • two (for redundancy) fibres will be extended from each fibre access point down to the basement. Device needs to deal with them
    • Provider won't installed additional box in the basement
  • From the switch cables are pulled to the other flats. If there is not enough space in the ducts, some cooper have to replaced by fibres
    • central internet access and the house is "smart ready"
    • I allocate at least 100 Mbit/s the www to each party, with 200 Mbit/s as buffer (dynmaically adding additional bandiwht shall be possible)
    • Devices in the same VLAN should be able to transmit data at 1 Gbit/s (because of NAS). However, this will probably only be the case in one, maybe two apartments.
      • My NAS will then be moved to the basement and can be reached from my flat via the switch. I don't know yet whether I will have a second device in my flat for video. I don't know whether I will separate low load (e.g. file sharing) and high load (video). Chromcast Ultra is already there.
  • Possiblity that SAT>IP will be integrated, if someone does not want to do without the Cable-TV.
    • might be necessary to route streams between VLANs
    • IGMP snooping

SystemErrorMessage

Re: Hardware recommendation to network a 9 Flat building for common www access plus intercom (and surveillance)

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:30 am

Hi i see no one has replied and ive planned this before.

First if you plan to have any sort of phone or intercom system, its a question of IP or analog. For analog you need a PABX (you can get cheap chinese ones), as long as power is supplied by them, wiring is basically CAT 3. you then wire this to every flat, to either a phone/intercom for them to pick up. The lower intercom will need a dialpad.

Now i dont know what you mean by 9 flat building if you mean 9 flats or a flat with 9 levels. THere are many ways you can wire things but im gonna assume you want POE. If everything is within 100 meters this is easy to do and POE simplifies things. So first check your camera specs, what POE do they support, make sure they also have battery option and LTE so the cable cutting and power cutting methods dont work. Its a good idea if your network equipment has power backup too.

There are currently 2 inexpensive methods to wire many devices. I would use ethernet with POE pure copper Cat6 minimum (No CCA) for the cameras but to wire people to access the internet, normally you would just send optical all over the place like GPON for example which is easy to connect with ISPs, or you can be your own provider and still use GPON Cost of GPON is about the same as ethernet for wiring, the difference is the endpoint.

The CRS is a switch. The newer ones will do VLANs and all sorts of switching fast, but not provide internet fast. No, the CRS will not provide 1Gb/s of internet over the vlans. The vlans dont contribute to the speed load but the internet does, so if you are providing internet I.e. via hotspot or radius, please use the appropriate hardware, which would be at least a RB4011 if you arent directly connecting from ISP. If you are and only need to do switching for VLANs than the latest CRS will do VLANs on the switch chip.

I hate it when people look at the CRS and go "i want to use this as both my switch and router" NO. The CPU or routerOS part on CRS is best used for managing it, like providing SNMP, dude or other utilities to somewhere else for managing it.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Hardware recommendation to network a 9 Flat building for common www access plus intercom (and surveillance)

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:01 pm

that is good news :)

intercom system, its a question of IP or analog
it will be an IP-System, 2N will be the supplier

Now i dont know what you mean by 9 flat building if you mean 9 flats or a flat with 9 levels.
a house with 9 appartements, each one is inhabited by the owner

THere are many ways you can wire things but im gonna assume you want POE.
yes as it simplifies wiring

If everything is within 100 meters
that is the case

Its a good idea if your network equipment has power backup too.
may we even pull additional 24V wires if POE fails

I would use ethernet with POE pure copper Cat6 minimum (No CCA)
thx for the piece of advice

send optical all over the place
that is the plan now, searching for super small field-installable FO connectors to adapt current FTTH provider system easily and hide it well
In addition I need to device to convert from fibre to cooper. The only readable options seem to be the Ubiquiti - EdgeSwitch® 12F

which would be at least a RB4011
I thought to start with the hEX S as I don't expect that much simultaneous heavy traffic. I guess habbit will change when everyone see what is possible if you use IP based digital (streaming) services. I may would upgrade to an CCR1009 even, if it scratches the limits. So I would have the hEX S as backup. in case of hardware failure.

PackElend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:03 pm

and it looks like that I have not got a notification yet, that you replied.
It is a bit late but thank you.
My solution goes with your recommendation :)