Community discussions

MikroTik App

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

hAP ac³

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:12 pm

Nice router but something is still missing...
- FXS port (hopefully 2);
- colored WAN port (blu?) and PoE port (red), to avoid Customer's connection mistakes
... a good opportunity missed to made a rotuer to be used at residential Cusotmer's site.
Something like this ... https://www.tp-link.com/it/home-network ... r-vr1200v/
Rgds

neutronlaser

Re: hAP ac³

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Lol mikrotik barely have Wifi 5 and you want them to start doing FXS

DarkNate
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Lol mikrotik barely have Wifi 5 and you want them to start doing FXS
Exactly, like MikroTik markets itself towards WISPs and ISPs, not Wi-Fi.

I honestly don't understand why people buy MikroTik routers for the Wi-Fi. I would just use MikroTik only for routing/switching, that's pretty much it.

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:55 am

Mikrotik offers unmatched troubleshooting possibility at Customer's site, especially at residential ones.
Many time Customers made mistakes, but the didn't tell you at the phone, e.g. just plug&play a new AP, obviously with DHCP server on (...) and then call the WISP because "Internet connection dosen't work". With other WiFi/FXS router anvailable on the market (TPLink, etc...) the WISP is simply BLIND on LAN side, instead mikrotik offers many troubleshooting possibilities (torch, dhcp client settings on LAN, secondary IP, IP scan, etc ...) on LAN side. Moreover... too many power suppliers means mistakes: only one device (with PoE out for the radio) is perfect, but LAN port MUST HAVE different colors, in order to check with Customers @ the phone if everything is properly connected: e.g. "is the cable that goes to the radio plugged in the RED port?" .
Rgds

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:59 am

The port is clearly labeled with the text "INTERNET", which works even for people with poor color perception.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:28 am

Believe me Normis "clearly labeled INTERNET" is not enough for tipical residential Customers ;-D
Is some cases they are even not able to find out an electrical plug... ;-D
Rgds

paulct

Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:42 am

Only thing I wish both the hAP ac2 and ac3 has was a SFP port

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:57 pm

Believe me Normis "clearly labeled INTERNET" is not enough for tipical residential Customers ;-D
Rgds

Deployed a FTTh solution in a golf estate, first question sked when customers calls in and say they have no internet "is there any red lights on ONU / ONT?", one customer replied yes, and send us a picture of the pre-paid electricity meter :-)
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

neutronlaser

Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:20 pm

lol

DarkNate
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:10 pm

Rgds

Deployed a FTTh solution in a golf estate, first question sked when customers calls in and say they have no internet "is there any red lights on ONU / ONT?", one customer replied yes, and send us a picture of the pre-paid electricity meter :-)
Next level stupidity.

I've also seen so called "pros" calling an ONT/ONU as a "modem". I'm like "What the heck is a "modem" in Fibre optics?"

For those who will start argument on whether modulation occurs in optics or not, read this: https://networkengineering.stackexchang ... 4461#64461

inteq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Even professionals call them modem because they got used to speaking with non-tech customers that only knows this terminology.
Try talking to your average Joe and tell them about ONU/ONT.
You just tell them modem and they know what you are talking about. No point in correcting them or explaining.
You do not interact with final customers too often me thinks.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:44 am

Chateau / hAP ac³ - have the same PCB as base system. Dual Possibility for LTE socket M.2/mPCIe
PCB-LTE.png
what probably be base for future 5G with external antennas.

In this Chateau LTE12 poor bandwidth user say we can have problems with ISP speed... but he still not provide export...:

haj3s29a
UPDATE - it is poorly described. With queues and firewall filters, max 200Mbps. Everything default + fasttrack 320Mbps

Anyone tried bandwidth test for Chateau, please?

I have got CATV Internet up to 500Mbps but I cannot get over 25MBs (200Mbps) with queues and some filtering. Using fasttrack pushes it to 40MBs (320Mbps) with almost default setting. It looks like that is limit.

Only one core is always 80-100%...average per CPU max. 30%

and this PCB have only 2 antennas for wifi. I think hAP ac² will be a new king of soho after RB951G :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software
I will be at MUMEUROPE Prague on ?? ?? 202?

r00t

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:12 am

Interesting. There doesn't seems to be missing many SMDs around mini-PciE slot, might be fun experiment to solder it in and see if it actually works. It may as it just needs power and pci-e lanes that should be coming directly from CPU.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:38 am

Interesting. There doesn't seems to be missing many SMDs around mini-PciE slot, might be fun experiment to solder it in and see if it actually works. It may as it just needs power and pci-e lanes that should be coming directly from CPU.
They are for antenna connectors but modem itself have own u.FL or IPEX4=MHF4 connectors from what you use directly.
For now I don't know it's limited by software but I am sure someone will try this :D
MTCNA + MTCRE + MTCINE | ~600 users at ~150 RouterBoards in EMEA | Telegram: @SiB_PL
WinBox Tip: F6 works as ALT+TAB | Gliffy.com - free network schematic | prnt.sc - free ScreenShot software

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:00 am

Only thing I wish both the hAP ac2 and ac3 has was a SFP port
Why go half way, SFP+ that is backwards compatible.
I also want mine to make milkshakes.

Seriously, I must admit I have a VOIP Modem sitting right next to my CCR1009.
No one I know has land line anymore, and a router with a VOIP built-in makes a lot of sense.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)
MTUNA Certified, by the Ascerbic Llama!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:22 am

anav
When RJ11 start exist in RB then ppl say, you have rj11, I buy it bcs I think it's support ADSL+ too :)

neutronlaser

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:56 am

Add Token Ring support please.

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:53 pm

anav
When RJ11 start exist in RB then ppl say, you have rj11, I buy it bcs I think it's support ADSL+ too :)
FXS is not for ADSL obviously, but to connect existing Customer's phone

inteq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:47 am

Tested today my first hAP ac3
Not impressed. Not even one bit.
Same exact performance as hAP ac2, in a body twice the size, more expensive and with two useless antennae.
Tested a hAP ac2, a wAP ac and the new hAP ac3 in the exact same location with an Intel AX200 client, direct line of sight at ~3-4 meters.
For some reason, the ac3 with its big antennae is + .5 dBm on 5Ghz compared to the other two, in a capsman setup. Same setup for all 3.
hAP ac2 and wAP ac a steady -49-50 dBm.
hAP ac3 a steady -54-55 dBm no matter the antennae orientation. It's like the two antennae are there only for show.
I am really looking for a reason to recommend the newer ac3 over ac2, but cannot find any.

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Wait, I am about to suggest my friend to get hAP ac3, to get more signal over the ac2. So it was not the case? Should have 5db vs the 2.5db of ac2, no?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:13 pm

Do not mix up the antenna gain and the signal strength. When using a high gain antenna your router has to reduce tx power to stay withing the legal boundaries, so the max signal strength you get is the same. However the effective coverage is usually better, thanks to a better sensitivity on reception.

inteq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Thank you @andriys for point this out. Indeed, you are correct.
I have briefly tested with only one concrete wall between the ac3 and the client and noticed the same behavior.
Tomorrow I will test this more thoroughly and get back with details in an up to 4 thick concrete walls location.

inteq
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:20 pm

I know professionals with cool expensive toys will laugh their asses off, but this is the best I can do: one smartphone with WiFiman from Ubiquiti.

wAP ac and Samsung Galaxy S9+
1. Direct line of sight at 3 meters distance
wap1.png
2. Behind a 19 cm thick concrete wall at 6 meters distance
wap2.png
3. Behind two 19 cm thick concrete walls at 15 meters distance
31.jpg

hAP ac3 and Samsung Galaxy S9+
hap1.png
hap2.png
32.jpg

hAP ac2 and Samsung Galaxy S9+
hapac2-1.png
hapac2-2.png
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.