Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cossarshill
just joined
Topic Author

LtAP mini external antenna ....querie !

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi all,
I've found a great LTE spot with my S10 phone. [ 48mbs down and 20 up on Band 20 ]....... So, now I have the Ltap mini Kit, thinking I would receive the same speed with its internal antennas , Well ,was I in for a shock. Only Half the speed !
Now, very carefully , I have fitted the 2 external LTE outputs and tried out a Yagi on the Main port and the speed increased a bit , but not up to the Samsung S10 ON ITS OWN .
I tried out the AUX port, but NO signal at all,,,,,,,,,,,

Question ...What does the AUX port do.?? and should I try a MIMO [dual leads ] antenna ? I have been told ,they are what is needed for LTE. These must be some antennas in S10 !!
ps. the tower in in view, so I thought the internal LtAP antennas would be sufficient.
HELP

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LtAP mini external antenna ....querie !

Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:47 pm

LTE modem R11e-LTE has two antenna connectors, main and aux ... and both have to be connected to two antenne (either that's two yagi or log-periodic antennae, mounted at 90 degree angle for different polarization to maximize MIMO effect) or two ports of a MIMO antenna. Both ports are used for downlink (doubles the throughput) while only main antenna is used for uplink. And be sure to use antennae with decent gain for 800MHz band, LtAP built-in antennae are shitty in lower frequency bands.

Latest generations of mobile phones by renowned vendors have highly sophisticated antennae built in and it's hard to beat them with antennae of comparable size ... but with antennae size does matter.

Cossarshill
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:46 pm

Thanks for that MKK....yes I was very surprised at the speeds from the S10 on its own. When I connected my old yagi to the AUX.....speedtest would not connect, but of course it would need an unlink command.
I will try an 2x2 mimo panel dedicated to 800 mhz with 2 cables. I suppose such panels have horizontal and vertical elements.
What does AUX/Diversity mean ??

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:08 pm

Wording of lables on an LTE modem sounds odd to me.

Traditionally only single radio stream was used, hence only one antenna was needed. However, many antennae are polarized and if polarization planes of transmitting antenna (e.g. mobile phone) and receiving antenna (e.g. cell tower) are orthogonal, then signal is lost. Similar effect effect can happen due to some interferences. So they came up with concept of receive diversity. Receiver receives using two antennae mounted a few wavelengths apart (spatial diversity) and/or at right angle (polarization diversity). Then receiver would use stream from antenna with higher signal. Transmission was still over one of antennae (unless Tx diversity was used but that was rarely used due to doubled power consumption). Hence marking diversity.

In modern networks MIMO is used and that means antennae are used for distinct data streams... in that case connectors are marked in a way which indicates equal importance ... Since LTE is modern network technology and even for CAT4 (the lowest category in wide use) downlink requires MIMO2x2 (hence use of 2 antennae), more appropriate connector lables would be something like "Ant A" and "Ant B" ... even though modem (as you discovered yourself) somehow works with single antenna attached (obviously antenna port used for Tx has to be connected).

Cossarshill
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:33 pm

Thanks again for describing the technologies...it explains a lot. I had an old LHG lte dish /modem and It worked well with reasonable gain at 1800 mhz. However it was rubbish at 800mhz, but unlike the LtAp it could not be easily modified for 2 external ports.....Looking forward to getting these Band 20 speeds up somehow .
My carrier has a 20mhz block on the band, So 45/20 is about there max. , which would be great to achieve.
Its going to be fun project.
The tower i can see is Band 20 only.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:43 pm

A cat4 modem can do up to 100/50 Mbps (DL/UL) in a 20MHz cell, regardless the frequency band. That's theoretical maximum, in reality throughput is lower mainly due to 2 reasons: 1) cell load (air time is shared between active users, you can't do much about that) and 2) less than optimal radio conditions (SINR-SIgnal to Noise Ratio drops either due to large attenuation or due to interference and a set of good antennae makes miracles with both).

Cossarshill
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:59 pm

All noted...Im lucky, I live in a very rural community in South Scotland. Although the tower uses band 20 only ( funded by the Scottish government to help isolated rural parts of the country ), 4G Lte will be popular for streaming etc by the locals. I guess speeds will get depressed as folks catch on to Netflix etc...Being a radio ham, I should start making my own antennas from old uhf tv ones .....channel group 60 to 68 ..which cover 800mhz ..
and fit 50ohm balans on them !! Thanks again