Community discussions

MikroTik App

redax
just joined
Topic Author

wAP LTE Kit died after fell off a chair

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:22 am

Seems like we have the second wAP LTE kit died after falling off a minimal height (40-50cm) within a year

do you have any idea what goes wrong, the device not powering up, flashing or vibrating power led and ethernet leds.
if I push gently the PCB around the middle, the LEDs lits solid, still not booting.

what could happen with a minimal shock like this?

Best Regards,

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP LTE Kit died after fell off a chair

Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:29 pm

OMG! Extreme bad lucky.

Probably only you can check for brocken soldering.

Regards.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:58 pm

Sometimes devices have problem with a boot-loop and netinstall help.
Sometimes it's total electronic failure and you can use warranty/rma. LTE devices are service by MikroTik and even if you think warranty not will be work then good way is to write to support bcs they can track that events and fix some stuff in next release (like sim slot in LHGR, PoE manual of LDFR, Pigtails in documentation of sxtr/lhgr) ... .

redax
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:41 pm

poor production.

seems like resoldering the SoC solved the problem.

qbic

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Had same problem, mine fell of from 1 meter, and it was able to boot when I pushed (by finger) SoC to the mainboard.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:38 pm

poor production.
So when you drop on your head from height of 1 meter, no healing is needed? I'd guess so based on your comment.

I'm not sure about Mikrotik hardware, but many HW come with "shock rating" ... operating and non-operating, usually rating is around 1g ... so if such device fell from height of 1m, it should decelerate 1m as well (free-fall is 1g). When your device dropped on the floor, it experienced deceleration anything between 10g and 200g, depending how exactly it fell on the floor (if it fell on a corner, allowing it to roll before stopping, deceleration was nearer 10g but adding angular acceleration/deceleration which stresses materials as well, if it fell flat on a side it was probably 200g or even more).
Devices, meant to experience considerable forces, are engineered and produced differently. And definitely cost more. One example is automotive electronics, it's made much sturdier mechanically (constant vibrations and mechanical shocks), electrically (wildly varying voltage and noisy power supply) and environmentally (moisture, liquid water, dust, extreme temperatures)