Community discussions

MikroTik App

Surge
just joined
Topic Author

LTE Advice - LHGG?

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:25 am

Hi all

Looking for some advice on an LTE set up in the UK, I am end of the copper line so currently using LTE for the house.
I have been using an old Archer MR200 and a Poynting external aerial on three getting circa 15mbps for the last 18 months or so.

I ordered a Mikrotik LHG LTE 6 kit for my parents in law as they have similar issues.
Decided to test it before installation at their house.
LTE Test.jpg
To be honest it exceeded my estimations, professionally propped it up on windowsill on some cushions and it made 60-90mbps on EE.

So I am thinking of upgrading to the new LHGG as it seems the best option around £200?
The POE gives me much better placement options than I can achieve with the antenna cable length on the current set up and with the test above hopeful I can get some great speeds.
It does feel however that the device it calling out for a higher CAT modem to take advantage of the upgraded internals? Any rumours?
Could the Chateau be a better option? Feels like it is more designed for city type good signal scenarios and I think I would have the same antenna issues.
Anyway should just be happy with that sort of speed above until hopefully some sort of fibre roll out reaches me in a few years but any advice would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE Advice - LHGG?

Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 pm

So I am thinking of upgrading to the new LHGG as it seems the best option around £200?
read my notes: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=168622#p827134

It does feel however that the device it calling out for a higher CAT modem to take advantage of the upgraded internals? Any rumours?
example Quectel EM12-G, EM160.. or Telit LM940/LM960 but they cannot do Cell Lock.

Could the Chateau be a better option? Feels like it is more designed for city type good signal scenarios and I think I would have the same antenna issues.
If you put it into hermeric box and connect 1m external antenna then yes, can be better.
Please wait to new wave of 5G devices from MikroTik, I hope they intoduce new M.2 Socket and then will be good point to change hardware.
You have 60Mbps what is good for 2x 4K movies and you probably can wait with that limitatiom :)

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:07 pm

It will require quite some time to establish the necessary infrastructure for 5G, especially in the case of the high-speed variant, which requires heavy densification and deployment of new antennas and base stations that will mainly take place in urban areas. In the case of rural areas, there will be no major difference between existing 4G and 5G.

When it comes to investing in new LTE cards, I strongly advise you to first check with your operator what degree of "Carrier Aggregation" they support. If you have LoS (line of sight) and don't live all too far from the nearest mast (<4 km) and use the higher frequency bands, you could probably achieve up about 150-200 Mbit using the existing CAT-6 card that came with the unit.

Also be aware of what LTE frequency bands that the equipment need to utilize and the antenna gain for the specific frequency.

EDIT:
When it comes to throughput, be aware that the LHG LTE6 is only equipped with a 100 Mbit port.

Surge
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:18 am

@ Larsa just for clarity I am looking at the new LHGG with a gigabit port.

Fair point about the rural 5g roll out, this is what makes me think this could be a good solution for the next few years without having the urge to upgrade.

@Sib, current rates are like 15mbps so I am hopeful the newer LHGG mounted outside will outperform the set up I was testing below would be nice to get close to 100mbps! I think the chateau option is too difficult from a mounting point of view.

Thanks for the advice all.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:59 am

Read this about 5G viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169076