Community discussions

MikroTik App

Banrosss
just joined
Topic Author

Suggest me which hardware should i go for my small business

Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:59 pm

A router and a switch for my small business, currently am having a 50mbps of plan and am thinking to upgrade to 100mbps plan.
Users: 13 Users on LAN, a Linux Server(For my Software), a NAS for storing CCTV footages and about 5-10 users on Wireless
I think I need a Gigabit switch and a router which can handle the load of all the devices.

VLANS configurations:
I am planning to make separate four VLANS:
VLAN 10: Employees and it also include my Linux server for my Software (Bandwidth throttled for employees at 10mbps each)
VLAN 20: Managing Directors and their printers
VLAN 30: CCTV Devices and NAS for storing footages
VLAN 40: Guest WIFI which only have internet access

VLANS rules I want:
~VLAN10 can only have access to internet and devices on that VLAN, else everything blocked and also blocked access to Router GUI.
~VLAN20 can have access to everything in which they can access the server on VLAN10 which I will statically configure it ,and also have the access to VLAN30 for viewing CCTV footages locally.
~VLAN30 can have access only to the internet and can see the local devices on that VLAN and else everything blocked including the Router GUI. .
~VLAN40 can have access only to the internet else everything blocked including all VLANS and blocked access to the Router GUI.

Thanks in advance

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Suggest me which hardware should i go for my small business

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:10 am

There are some devices which can do both switching and routing. However, the routing capacity is usually low, somewhere around 300Mbps (plus minus) for most of CRS3xx devices. And that's total routing capacity, which includes inter-VLAN routing. If you intend to do aggressive bandwidth throttling, then the cumulative number might drop even further.

So you may want to go with two boxes: router (which will do also inter-VLAN routing) and a switch. For routing RB4011 is pretty decent device, but in your case (with VLANs in picture) you should not use it as a switch (it can't switch between VLAN ports wirespeed).

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:40 am

Of course you need to know what inter-VLAN routing speed you require, and what filtering you require on those paths.
When this system is the typical "those VLANs route only to internet and only very occasionally between them", the MikroTik devices will have no problems with that.
E.g. the CCTV system will normally record from cameras to the NAS, that is just switching. It happens at wirespeed (1Gbps).
However, when you want to view something recorded on the NAS or live from a camer from a PC on VLAN20 that is routing. It is slower, but still amply fast enough for that purpose.
When you want to copy the content of the NAS to a disk connected to a PC on another VLAN, that is a case where you want routing at full wirespeed and those devices will not be able to do it.

Other manufacturers have switches that can route between VLANs at wirespeed. MikroTik is now entering that space, but it is only available on some devices and only in beta software. I would not recommend buying that for the purpose of using it in a business just yet.

Banrosss
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:28 pm

Of course you need to know what inter-VLAN routing speed you require, and what filtering you require on those paths.
When this system is the typical "those VLANs route only to internet and only very occasionally between them", the MikroTik devices will have no problems with that.
E.g. the CCTV system will normally record from cameras to the NAS, that is just switching. It happens at wirespeed (1Gbps).
However, when you want to view something recorded on the NAS or live from a camer from a PC on VLAN20 that is routing. It is slower, but still amply fast enough for that purpose.
When you want to copy the content of the NAS to a disk connected to a PC on another VLAN, that is a case where you want routing at full wirespeed and those devices will not be able to do it.

Other manufacturers have switches that can route between VLANs at wirespeed. MikroTik is now entering that space, but it is only available on some devices and only in beta software. I would not recommend buying that for the purpose of using it in a business just yet.
Then can you suggest me any other good switches and routers which support inter-vlans switching ??
Am having budget of around 300$ including both router and switch

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:47 pm

Then can you suggest me any other good switches and routers which support inter-vlans switching ??
Am having budget of around 300$ including both router and switch
@Banrosss
My suggestion for Switch that can do line rate interVLAN routing is as follows:
TP Link JetStream 24-Port Gigabit L2 Managed Switch with 4 SFP Slots TP-Link have very good Tech docks at the following link for this switch https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/down ... 600g-28ts/
And my suggestion for Router is the MikroTik RB4011

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:49 pm

No, not for that budget. L3 switches I normally buy will be more like $900.
However you should not worry too much, as I wrote in normal use cases (and with your internet speed) something like a 4011 or a recent CRS model will be fast enough.