Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hominidae
Topic Author

Which router with NAT/Masquerading Performance > 1Gbps

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi Folks & merry X-Mas to you all,

I am looking for a router that will be able to sustain 1Gbps towards ISP connection, hence including enabled NAT/masquerading,., while on LAN side hostinbg a smaller set (approx 5) VLANs, where two of these will be simultaneously allocate bandwidth towards the ISP/WAN side.

Will a Hex-S or hap-ac2 be able to do this or what other model is it that you would rather suggest instead?

TIA,
hominidae

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Which router with NAT/Masquerading Performance > 1Gbps

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Bare minimum I highly suggest this: https://mikrotik.com/product/rb450gx4#fndtn-testresults

Plenty of RAM and storage with powerful enough CPU to hit 1G as per those specs/results.

Hominidae
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:17 pm

...many thanks for your fast response!

Looks like that RB450 variant comes with the same CPU and performance test results as the hap-ac2, but with much more RAM...which, economically doubles its retail price in comparison (adding enclosure and power supply).

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:48 pm

...many thanks for your fast response!

Looks like that RB450 variant comes with the same CPU and performance test results as the hap-ac2, but with much more RAM...which, economically doubles its retail price in comparison (adding enclosure and power supply).
Go for the RB450Gx4, 1GB RAM + 512MB Flash, is more than enough for years to come by if your target is 1G routing.

Hominidae
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:34 pm

...all required parts combined, the RB450Gx4 is only 25% cheaper, from a good, reputable source than the RB4100 (which I already have in use, hence already knowing what it can do).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:00 am

While I don't have experience with RB450Gx4, my experience with other types of MT tells me that this device will just manage to route at 1Gbps. Which might actually not suffice, as per OP there will be several VLANs and router will possibly have to route between VLANs as well. When looking at routing performance, one has to add all possible directions.

Cheapest router, capable of routing beyond 1Gbps without any doubt, is then RB4011.

Hominidae
Topic Author

Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:09 am

....indeed, there will be a few VLANs active, but mainly only 1 will be used with inter-VLAN routing (holding common resources as printers and the like for users in the other two VLANs and anything better than 100Mbps wil be fine here).
I am more concerned about access from the other 2 VLANs (for which inter-routing/forwarding will be blocked) to the 1Gbps WAN, as this will have to involve NAT/Masquerading...a feature I was not able to gahther info, whether this will be hardware accelerated on MT (some or in general) devices or not.

The RB4011 actually would present an overkill for the situation...even a single core will do without getting into any kind of sweat above 10% CPU-usage according to a short test on another site I just did.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:21 am

this will have to involve NAT/Masquerading...a feature I was not able to gahther info, whether this will be hardware accelerated on MT (some or in general) devices or not.
No it won't.
All current mikrotik routers don't do NAT in HW.

(Only some of mikrotik switches can do HW NAT in ROS7 now, but on routers it is all CPU).

Hominidae
Topic Author

Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:16 pm

...thanks, so no HW-NAT.....that sort of explains the recommendations for a beefy CPU.

whatever

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:29 pm

If you are using only IPv4 with fasttrack, hap ac2 will do the job. If you need fasttrack disabled and/or good IPv6 performance, rb4011 is the way to go.

RB450Gx4 is probably for some rare in between usecases, when hap ac2 cpu is fast enough but you need more RAM.