Community discussions

MikroTik App

schilling
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac bricked?

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Hello,

today I wanted to reset one of my two hAP ac Router Boards to start from from scratch with facory defaults after it has been working for several years now.
I therefore removed the power, pressed the reset button, plugged tn the power cord and waited until the SFP LED flashed - like I always did.
After that I was able to login and use this factory reset device. After I did some testing, I did the same procedure again to reset it. Unfortunately the device is no longer working as expected.

When I plug it in it beeps (long) PWR and SFP are on, after that all LEDs are on for 1-2 seconds, it beeps two times (short) and after that LED 2 is blinking (that's where the client is connected to) and PWR LED is lit in constant blue. No wireless, no DHCP. It seems as if it is not booting up correctly or booting up into a "strange" state.

I already tried to flash the stable release of routeros-mipsbe-6.48.npk using netinstall-6.48.

This seemed to work, but nevertheless, nothing has changed:
user@host:~/Downloads/mikrotik_netinstall/netinstall-6.48$ sudo ./netinstall -a 192.168.88.1 ./routeros-mipsbe-6.48.npk 
[sudo] password for user: 
Using server IP: 192.168.88.2
Starting PXE server
Waiting for RouterBOARD...
rPXE client: CC:2D:E0:A9:A8:70
PXE client: CC:2D:E0:A9:A8:70
Sending image: mips
Discovered RouterBOARD...
Key was rejected
user@host:~/Downloads/mikrotik_netinstall/netinstall-6.48$ sudo ./netinstall -a 192.168.88.1 ./routeros-mipsbe-6.48.npk 
Using server IP: 192.168.88.2
Starting PXE server
Waiting for RouterBOARD...
bind tftp general failed: Address already in use
Discovered RouterBOARD...
Formatting...
Sending package routeros-mipsbe-6.48.npk ...
Ready for reboot...
Sent reboot command
After several devices and all these xears, I never experienced something like this before. Could anyone please help me? I don't want to throw this great device away just like that... :-(

Best Regards,
Daniel

schilling
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hAP ac bricked?

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm

No idea or hint what I could do about this issue?
Thanks,
Daniel

twixt3and20
just joined

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:28 am

Just to say that I am having a similar problem with a four year old hAP lite - the Linux version of netinstall 6.48 sees it as a PXE client with the right MAC address, but nothing actually happens from there.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:25 pm

Try to use another version of netinstall. In the past there were reports that some netinstall versions caused problems for some devices/users while other netinstall versions were fine. In addition, ROS version 6.48 seems to have a few bugs on its own.

twixt3and20
just joined

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:27 pm

Just tried with the 7.1beta3 version of netinstall, which is one of only three Linux versions available.

Same thing: the router's MAC address appears as a PXE client, but nothing actually happens from that point.

(6.48rc1 is the untried one, but given 6.48 doesn't work...)

tdussa

Thu May 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Just tried with the 7.1beta3 version of netinstall, which is one of only three Linux versions available.

Same thing: the router's MAC address appears as a PXE client, but nothing actually happens from that point.

FWIW, I have run into the same issue with a hAP lite: Netinstall would just run into the "Key was rejected" issue, and nothing would work.

However, I have been able to find a way out of that corner using Linux netinstall version 6.47.9. I was able to reinstall my hAP lite with both ROS 6.47.9 and ROS 7.1beta6 with this fairly simple procedure:
1. Run netinstall:
sudo ./netinstall -a 192.168.1.1 routeros-7.1beta6-smips.npk
and start the hAP in netinstall mode by pushing the reset button for whatever many seconds it takes (20, I believe). This will end with the infamous "Key was rejected" message.
2. THEN JUST RUN NETINSTALL AGAIN with the same command without touching the router. Netinstall just picked up the half-installed router somehow and proceeded with "Formatting..." immediately, after which it installed ROS correctly.

I don't really know what's happening, but this works for me (not with netinstall-7.1beta6 though, just with netinstall-6.47.9 -- haven't tried any other versions). This allowed me to install both ROS 6.47.9 and ROS 7.1beta6 successfully on my hAP lite.

Cheers,
Toby.

almeiras

Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:26 pm

FWIW, I have run into the same issue with a hAP lite: Netinstall would just run into the "Key was rejected" issue, and nothing would work.

However, I have been able to find a way out of that corner using Linux netinstall version 6.47.9. I was able to reinstall my hAP lite with both ROS 6.47.9 and ROS 7.1beta6 with this fairly simple procedure:
1. Run netinstall:
and start the hAP in netinstall mode by pushing the reset button for whatever many seconds it takes (20, I believe). This will end with the infamous "Key was rejected" message.
2. THEN JUST RUN NETINSTALL AGAIN with the same command without touching the router. Netinstall just picked up the half-installed router somehow and proceeded with "Formatting..." immediately, after which it installed ROS correctly.

I don't really know what's happening, but this works for me (not with netinstall-7.1beta6 though, just with netinstall-6.47.9 -- haven't tried any other versions). This allowed me to install both ROS 6.47.9 and ROS 7.1beta6 successfully on my hAP lite.

Cheers,
Toby.

I have the same problem with my RB4011, "Key was rejected". It had 7.1RC4 before bricking. Sadly your trick did not work for me. Thank you anyway.

almeiras

Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:29 am

1. Run netinstall:

Cheers,
Toby.
I made it!!! I used a different combo: First netinstall Linux 6.47.9, then netinstall Windows 7.1RC4. More info and screenshot here: viewtopic.php?p=885659#p885659.

almeiras

Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:42 am

1. Run netinstall:

Cheers,
Toby.
I made it!!! I used a different combo: First netinstall Linux 6.47.9, then netinstall Windows 7.1RC4. More info and screenshot here: viewtopic.php?p=885659#p885659.
I can confirm this trick has worked for me again. This time I even used the -k parameter to add the proper key file, but that did not work. Only the combo described above worked.