Community discussions

MikroTik App

cietdoke22
just joined
Topic Author

hEX RB750GR3 Poor Performance

Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi guys, recently bought a hEX Routerboard RB750GR3 for my new home network set up.

For a bit of background, i now get 1Gb fibre to the premises and i've replaced all of my infrastructure with Cat6a cabling, panels and outlets, and some new APs. Part of this was replacing the router and after doing some research the RB750GR3 reviewed well. (I have two desktop PCs connecting wired, one via a switch, one directly to the router, two APs via the switch, and two smart TVs, both wired, one via switch one via router.)

However, i'm struggling to sustain the performance i had expected. With the broadband suppliers router, i on average get around 980Mbps down, 150Mbps up sustained and have no issues. With the RouterBOARD, i get around 850Mbps down and 100Mbps up. The routerBOARD is running the latest RouterOS and has been configured, to the best of my knowledge, correctly.

Whilst i am certainly not thrilled with losing over 130Mbps of bandwith down, i'm more concerned about the sustenance of it. Twice in the past 24 hours the router has dropped off a cliff of speed and i've had to reboot it. At one point i was getting 80Mbps down (and again switching back to the supplier router proved it wasn't the actual fibre connection)

Any ideas? Does the RouterBOARD just not have the grunt to sustain these speeds? Normally i wouldn't be all that bothered but i've bought it specifically to get the absolute most out of my fibre connection, which as you can imagine is fairly expensive!

Thank you

jebz

Re: hEX RB750GR3 Poor Performance

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:17 am

Hi guys, recently bought a hEX Routerboard RB750GR3 for my new home network set up.

However, i'm struggling to sustain the performance i had expected.
If you read the specifications you would have seen it was a marginal situation getting 1Gb/s routing performance.
I think the minimum would have been the hAP ac2 - https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2 with the 4 core ARM processor.
https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2#fndtn-testresults

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Any ideas? Does the RouterBOARD just not have the grunt to sustain these speeds? Normally i wouldn't be all that bothered but i've bought it specifically to get the absolute most out of my fibre connection, which as you can imagine is fairly expensive!
Just wrong model. The Hap AC2 (ip4018 arm quad core) is the minimum for 1 Gbps fiber.

cietdoke22
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:45 am

Thanks guys, that was what i sort of figured out. Oh well, time to send it back!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 am

When you really want to get 1Gbps performance even the hAP AC2 may be too small (depending on configuration) and a device like the RB4011 would have more capacity to spare.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Try using a fast track if you are not currently using it !