Community discussions

MikroTik App

wrathrbflyn
just joined
Topic Author

GPEN21 POE Output

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:47 pm

Is there something special that needs to be done when using a GPEN21 to provide passive POE out?

I am attempting to power an SXT 5 ac with a GPEN21 that is in turn connected to a POE switch. When connecting the SXT to the POE out port the GPEN POE out light will turn on, however the SXT will not power on.

In the small amount of time I had to troubleshoot so far, I found SwOS is indicating a fault on that port and shows symbols under the "Pairs" column. However I am unable to find any information related to the reason for the fault or the information being displayed. Other than references to the GPEN21 having Link Fault Detection and a screenshot, the manual and other documentation doesn't appear to cover this in any detail.

I have a couple more troubleshooting steps I can take, however, it appears there is some issue with the interconnecting cable to the SXT. I have tried multiple factory terminated cables, both shielded and unshielded, with the same results. Using the provided passive injector and power supply I was able to previously configure the SXT prior to connecting it to the GPEN21 and currently have it operating in a temporary fashion using the same, so it appears the hardware is all good.

Suggestions of where to go next?

wrathrbflyn
just joined
Topic Author

Re: GPEN21 POE Output

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:27 pm

Following up for anyone that comes across this thread. I had also submitted a support request regarding this situation and received a reply this morning.

Turns out that even though the GPEN21 is marketed as a "smart power injector", can be powered by 802.3af/at, and provides passive POE out, it actually cannot be used as an in-line converter to power passive POE Mikrotik devices. There is no voltage conversion capability, and if powered by standard 802.3af/at voltages just passes that voltage directly through to the passive device. Given 802.3af/at provides voltages starting at 44V and up, without conversion the passive voltage will always be outside the 10-28/30V range of the Mikrotik products.

Seeing a couple other threads about inability to use ETH2 and the SFP port simultaneously, I'm wondering what the intended purpose of this device actually is.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: GPEN21 POE Output

Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 pm

This device always puzzled me. I see it a kind of NTU with POE, to be used on 'remote' locations.

Eth2 and the SFP are either one and you use the Eth2 or the SFP.