Community discussions

MikroTik App

SpartanX
Topic Author

Good RB760iGS vs. bad RB760iGS (PoE) - how to tell?

Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:19 pm

Having had to write off the RB3011 due to not wanting to deal with a port flapping issue that's been seemingly unsolved for a few years, I moved on to a RB760iGS. I need a fibre module, even though the RB760iGS can't do hardware VLAN switching. Then I found threads like this (viewtopic.php?t=161635#p808173), where it is shown that earlier RB760iGS models had a hardware PoE output problem which has been fixed in later hardware.

How can we know, since these posts aren't that old, that we are buying new or old stock from a supplier (not direct from Mikrotik)? Is there a difference in serial numbers, or something sensible like a "v2" on a sticker?

I know I can probably RMA if I get an older one, but I would much rather avoid the hassle and cost of that especially since our stupid country left Europe.

If I can figure that, then all I have to be concerned about is the thing overheating with a fibre module in there it seems. Why can't anything just be simple?

JGA
just joined

Re: Good RB760iGS vs. bad RB760iGS (PoE) - how to tell?

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:55 pm

The guy from the thread you mention was posting the last message on Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:20 am.
At that time he already had the revised device.
Check the Router OS -specifically the date when your device was manufactured/built. If it is after Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:20 am then theoretically your device is revised.

I totally agree that MikroTik should shed some light on this issue and provide the official information about the new revision.