Community discussions

MikroTik App

stocky789
just joined
Topic Author

DSL Modem Routers

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:51 am

Any plans of Mikrotik releasing VDSL modem/routers ? More so in the $150-250 price point range? It's basically all we encounter in Aus besides city areas

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: DSL Modem Routers

Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:38 pm

Can be problematic to have the certified/accepted for all the Telco and providers that exists.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:52 am

Anyway xDSL today is an outdated technology but people uses it yet.

The best is try to put the modem on bridge mode and configure PPPoE parameters on the RouterBOARD device.

Regards.

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:42 pm

There's the Proscend SFP module - https://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info ... cts_id=488
They get a little hot and my tests show they don't perform quite as well as a Draytek Vigor 130 in bridge mode (and they're the same price).
I use one at home but I only have a 25/5Mbps connection.

FiiMitch

Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:35 am

There's the Proscend SFP module - https://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info ... cts_id=488
They get a little hot and my tests show they don't perform quite as well as a Draytek Vigor 130 in bridge mode (and they're the same price).

I have a number of these in the field with hEX S, hEX PoE, CRS PoE, RB4011 and RB3011. They do get hot, but they perform very well - very stable. Some slight loss on sync speed with 100Mbps VDSL connections, but cleaner installation and more configuration ability as it is essentially turns your SFP port into a dumb modem bridge which allows full Mikrotik feature set directly on the interface.

Main gripe is the inability to check sync speeds via any IP-based interface or SNMP. Also can't tell if it's actually synced without visually checking the LED or interfacing with software via PC on same Layer 2 segment (as far as I'm aware).

I know MT did have plans for a DSL interface package on RouterOS as there was a DSL section available in terminal in previous firmware versions. Hoping it gets revived somewhat with the uptake of these SFP modules, and allows more visibility.

Side note - I also have installed a number of Vigor130s in the past, and would take the SFP module any day.

Phillip
just joined

Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:10 am

That is pretty cool to have a DSL SFP. I could have used one for my buddy that had DSL until last year when Verizon pulled the plug on him and made him move to Fios.