Community discussions

MikroTik App

tdussa
Topic Author

Netinstall from a ROS device?

Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:48 am

Hi,

I've been wondering and searching the net and this forum about this. Maybe I am too blind to find information on this, but maybe there is no info.

Is it possible to run the `netinstall` server component on a ROS device? As in, use an MT router to reinstall a broken AP? All I can find is a Windows and, as I have found out very recently to my great relief, a Linux version of `netinstall`, but is there a way to do that from ROS?

Cheers,
Toby.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Netinstall from a ROS device?

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:31 am

No, there's no netinstall tool for ROS.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:49 am

It should be possible with a remote-netinstall over a EoIP/VPLS tunnel, with a Linux/Windows host on the other side?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:50 pm

Given fragility of netinstall process which is likely to fail even with direct UTP connection between netinstall server and routerboard device ... it would surprise me if this would work. I'm not saying it's not possible though ...

tdussa
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:59 pm

No, there's no netinstall tool for ROS.
Bummer. That would be a really nice feature to have.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Cheers,
Toby.

tdussa
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:00 pm

It should be possible with a remote-netinstall over a EoIP/VPLS tunnel, with a Linux/Windows host on the other side?
Hm... :) Interesting idea. If I find the time, I'll look into that.

THX!

Cheers,
Toby.

nemke
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:39 pm

+1 for that
It would be great feature.....sometimes life saving :-)

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Yes, that works. I've done it many times. It's not 100% stable on high latency / jittery links, but it's better than nothing in case of an emergency.

graealex
just joined

Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:59 am

Just wanted to confirm, Netinstall over EoIP tunnel ist possible, if another (remote) Mikrotik device is connected to the BOOT port of the device that needs to be recovered. Steps:
  • On local Mikrotik device, create SSTP (or other VPN) client to dial into remote site
  • On local Mikrotik device, confirm reachability via ping tool, create EoIP tunnel interface, create a bridge, and bridge EoIP tunnel interface and a dedicated LAN port together
  • On remote Mikrotik device, create EoIP tunnel interface, create a bridge, and bridge EoIP tunnel interface and the LAN port connected to the device that needs recovery together
  • On local Mikrotik device, connect your laptop via LAN to the dedicated port, configure local IP address as per Netinstall manual and run recovery process
In theory, the EoIP tunnel behaves like a physical cable between the two sites. I configured the port that was connected to the device that needs recovery as 10Mbit/s as a precaution to avoid packets getting dropped on the WAN link.
In my experience, if Netinstall has trouble detecting the device to be recovered, it's because of spurious network interfaces on the Windows computer. Disabling all network interfaces but the LAN interface you want to do the recovery on usually helps. Firewall can also interfere. And as people have pointed out numerous times, slow interface up detection on Windows when the device reboots can also cause problems. Putting a switch between laptop and recovery device might help, especially if configured as a dedicated bridge only between the two ports.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:37 pm

As another option, on ARM devices with container, you can run the linux netinstall in a container:
viewtopic.php?t=189485

I've tried this a couple times, and seems to work.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:09 pm