Community discussions

MikroTik App

marcbou
just joined
Topic Author

netPower 16P powering, cable attachments with tie-wraps

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:58 pm

netPower 16P seems to be a nice device. It would be even nicer if you could power it only with 48-57V and it would generate 48V and 24V for radios etc, which is the common case. It is a hassle to bring separate 24V and 48V lines up high on a tower or install voltage converter. The DC jacks seem to be a bad choice for power as well. Too easy to detach.

The plastic case is also missing a slot for every port to attach a tie-wrap securing each cable in place, similar to Ubiquiti EP-R6 and EP-R8 devices.

maglito
just joined

Re: netPower 16P powering, cable attachments with tie-wraps

Mon May 24, 2021 6:27 pm

We supply ours with 24v which is ideal for building 7cell LIFEPO4 prismatic battery homemade UPS.
Then we use a step-up for sites that require 48v gear.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-5A-Wat ... B089M7FVLJ
You could put a simple stepdown onto the 24v side and do something similar so there is no need to run two lines.

My biggest problem with the netpower16 so far, is that we use this adapter POE-CONV-2AT-60 (and give up a port) to get all four pairs powered for devices like AF24 and AF11FX.
https://www.balticnetworks.com/tycon-po ... -converter
This solution works great when we enable both the slave and master port on the netpower16 at the same time. However, when rebooting the netpower16 it gives a "current too high error" on one port and refuses to power the device until I manually disable both ports and re-enable them at the same time. I need to figure out a script to run on reboot to handle this scenario because as of now the link to the site won't come up after rebooting the netpower16 and I lose my connection to the device. I'm crossing my fingers this will be addressed in a firmware update.

Otherwise, we are loving these netpower16 devices, once ROS v7 is more stable and they can do simple L3 routing -- they'll be perfect tower "master hub" devices!

modsx
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: netPower 16P powering, cable attachments with tie-wraps

Tue May 25, 2021 12:32 am

The plastic case is also missing a slot for every port to attach a tie-wrap securing each cable in place, similar to Ubiquiti EP-R6 and EP-R8 devices.
Probably only the angel will know when MT will learn to create a normal cable entry design. Equipment has to drill larger holes, no guards for empty holes, no hooks for tie-wrap, plastic covers from UV are not long-lasting.
If I wanted to put on a quick CAT8 metal long connector, I wouldn't.

Which company makes designs for them? because the equipment is made all over the world (China, Lithuania, Latvia, etc.). What does MT do itself? RouterOS? Looks like MT is a mngmt company that knows how to make cheap.