Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Powering cAP ac from another cAP

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:16 am

I want to power a cAP ac from another cAP ac with the included 24v power supply, but I noticed that its listed maximum power output on the second port is 500mA. A cAP ac takes up to 13w, which equates to 540mA with 24 volts. Is this power requirement close enough, or is it too risky? Note that the 13w is under maximum load, and you'd only get that maximum load with lots of routing activity (which I wouldn't be doing).

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Powering cAP ac from another cAP

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 am

You only get the maximum load at booting, under load we never saw more then 5w

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:06 am

It'll probably be fine, but to stay in spec you should get a higher voltage PSU.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:59 am

You can power the in a chain, it works. maximum power is really only reached when all interfaces are at maximum load, in real life, that doesn't happen

mdinisoae
just joined

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:35 am

I can share my experience here:
At the time when I bought 2 "cAP ac" I've managed to have them cascaded: the 1st one was powering the second 2nd one and it has been working for few days when suddenly the second one stop.
Then I've switched the cAPs (2nd one to power the 1st one) ...also it was working for few days ...then something happen and the 2nd one stop working too (no power).
Both of them are still working well when each cAP is connected to its power injector.

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:02 pm

I want to power a cAP ac from another cAP ac with the included 24v power supply, but I noticed that its listed maximum power output on the second port is 500mA. A cAP ac takes up to 13w, which equates to 540mA with 24 volts. Is this power requirement close enough, or is it too risky? Note that the 13w is under maximum load, and you'd only get that maximum load with lots of routing activity (which I wouldn't be doing).
Given how to difficult cabling can be, having a specially crafted device for daisy chaining 2 AP would surely interest a lot of people.
I first thought of a specially designed AP but as WiFi needs et requirements often change, maybe an external 3 ports PoE 2.5Gb/s capable switch you could mount an AP on, would better fit (you can hope for an AP mounting kit to support several AP models).