Community discussions

MikroTik App

frog14
just joined
Topic Author

CCR1009 poor bridge performance

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:08 pm

So, I have CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC and happy with it in general. My setup is 2 WAN 1Gb uplinks on eth1/eth2 and a LAN bridge on other ports. My PC has Intel 1Gb NIC attached to eth6 on the rounter. The router is configured for load balance/failover both WANs (mangle, conn/routing marks) - works like a charm. So I've added another Intel NIC and attached in to eth7 in hope I can double my bandwidth (server side multi-connection load). This isn't working for some reason, the bridge speed is capped at 1Gbps although each channel including WANs demonstrates true 1Gb performance individually. The router's CPU is at 40% max.

See the screenshot, please, for better visualization. Is something wrong with my thinking? What's weird is the bridge capped speed is always summary of Tx+Rx although all the connections are full duplex.
Screenshot_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rodpp

Re: CCR1009 poor bridge performance

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:28 pm

You could try to test each server NIC individually, removing one cable and then another. If each one can reach 1Gbps, then probably there is no problem.

To use 1Gbps on both interfaces, your application must demmand that from both.

Or you can try to configure link aggregation, creating an unique interface comprising the two links. But pay attention that the balance between the two links depends of the traffic caracteristics. If you dind't yet, please see this wiki:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Bonding

elevendroids
just joined

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Your bridge ports are not marked as HW-offloaded (AFAIK, they should have an "H" displayed in the status column) - which is why the CPU has to process all of the traffic instead of relying on the switch chip (CCR1009 has a pretty decent one).
There's probably something wrong with the configuration.

You also seem to have an invalid entry in the bridge ports list ("unknown" interface) - try removing that one.

EDIT:
rodpp is right - you should use bonding (ie. LACP) to use a multi-interface connection from your server to the router.
Also, on a second though - lack of HW acceleration may not be an issue here, it all depends on your exact configuration.
Make also sure that the routed/firewalled traffic is fasttracked (check the counters) - that saves a lot of CPU cycles, on RB4011 I can saturate the 10Gbps interface with VLAN-VLAN routed traffic (without FT/FP it capped at ~3-4Gbps).

rodpp

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:33 pm

This CCR1009 doesn't have a chip switch, so no hardware offload:

But it's not a problem here, because it have a beefy CPU.

onnoossendrijver

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:02 pm

Older model CCR1009 had a switch chip.

elevendroids
just joined

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:48 pm

This CCR1009 doesn't have a chip switch, so no hardware offload
Huh, didn't know that - but yes, that CPU should do the job just fine.

frog14
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:52 am

You could try to test each server NIC individually, removing one cable and then another. If each one can reach 1Gbps, then probably there is no problem.

To use 1Gbps on both interfaces, your application must demmand that from both.

Or you can try to configure link aggregation, creating an unique interface comprising the two links. But pay attention that the balance between the two links depends of the traffic caracteristics. If you dind't yet, please see this wiki:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Bonding

Thank you for the input! In fact, I tried bonding before and it didn't work. I installed Intel PROSet and configured a team of two NICs on my PC while adding eth6/eth7 as a bonded pair to the bridge on CCR. Tried every configuration (802.3ad, Static Link Aggregation, etc. to no avail. Intel PROSet always shows one of the NICs as inactive although both work just fine separately. But I learned that Windows 10 uses all the NICs without bonding (I can see it in Task Manager) so all my outgoing connections are equally distributed between the two.

And yes, both interfaces separately reach 1Gbps but I hope to get 2Gbps saturation. I don't use no VNETs, it's a SOHO LAN. Just want to have combined 2Gbps from my WANs.
Screenshot_3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rodpp

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:08 am

Intel PROSet always shows one of the NICs as inactive although both work just fine separately.
It seems like a link state monitoring problem (ARP or MII are supported by RouterOS). Check it both sides, on router and on server. According with the balance mode, some monitoring methods doesn't work.

rodpp

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:24 am

As Windows 10 doesn't support link aggregation, you must relay on the NIC software. And chances are that Windows updates eventually break it.

Try to follow these instructions, probably the two NICs must be the same model:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... ducts.html

Or, if possible, try from a Linux box.

frog14
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Unfortunately, I have to revive the thread.

So, I abandoned the link aggregation path. Instead, I bought S+RJ10 SFP+ RJ45 module and connected the CCR to my PC with a single 10G link. Then, I added the SFP+ port into the bridge and got the same problem - capped 1G on the bridge and SFP+ interfaces with underloaded CPU :(

What am I missing? Does it have anything to do with ECMP balancing my two WANs?

frog14
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CCR1009 poor bridge performance  [SOLVED]

Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm

All right, after pulling my hair out I tested the bridge performance by adding another PC and adding extra 1Gbps load. And my 10Gbps link showed that extra just fine so I started thinking what might be the problem. In one of the attempts I decided to disable all mangle rules (except those 4 for ECMP to work properly) and that did it! What's weird is that the profiler didn't show it as bottleneck at all but those additional ~20 rules really slowed down the performance. So now I see aggregated bandwidth from both my WANs in the bridge :)