Community discussions

MikroTik App

reactiv1
just joined
Topic Author

wAP as PTP layer 2 bridge?

Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:17 am

Hi

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Can a pair of wAP RBwAP2nD) be used as a test? set up for layer 2 bridge (Bridge > Station Bridge). Distance is 30m perfect LOS, 0% fresnel intrusion, location is rural/isolated no other RF. I know RouterOS has the software to make it happen, but is there a hardware or license limitation preventing me running a layer 2 test bridge? I know the beam pattern is not focused like a SXTsq Lite2 for example. I'm not worried about throughput in the test, only that routing works as layer 2 and hence does not 'upset the rest of my network' I already have a couple of SXTsq setup in a PTP layer 2 bridge and they work perfectly.

I have two buildings connected via a third party AP(AP Bridge with WDS) in a PTMP topology, which for the life of me can't seem to make work. Originally, I tried without WDS and the building links seemed slow and unreliable - difficulty with MAC addresses etc, now I have set the AP and stations to use WDS things seem better on the building links, MAC addresses seem to be passing and device discovery seems better, but they seem to be causing my working network problems now.

I am not a novice at networking but the level iof detail required for the WDS links is probably a bit much for me to guarantee good quality links for the customer, I have read all sort of problems with non compliant chipsets on PTMP links, even with 100% Mikrotik hardware there seems to be no easy setup - so I'm thinking we upgrade to some more SQTsq's.

Thanks
C