Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nirox
Topic Author

RB4011 (WiFi) and again about the stability of the work.

Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:10 pm

Good day to all!!!

Before you start throwing stones at me, take the time to read my story.

This device was purchased on 16 December 2018. I think this is the very first revision and now, after more than 2 years, I understand that it was my big mistake. My agony began the day after the purchase. For a long time, I published reports on problems on the forum, provided service files for the analysis of the support guys, and followed all their instructions and recommendations.

I have an "old" hAP ac that has served me as a trusted friend for more than 4 years, if not more. I always turn it on again when I have another problem with the RB4011 monster. With each release of a new firmware, I update the RB4011 (often reset it to factory settings, for more accurate results) and run the usual home tests. Namely:

1. Two laptops connected via 1Gb LAN
2. One NAS with 2 LAN (1Gb)
3. 4 mobile divece (iPhone*2 and iPad*2)
4. Apple TV and etc...

absolutely nothing supernatural as you can see.

The test scenario is as follows: laptops download video files from the NAS to local disks. The phones are connected simply to WiFi one of them often works with a SIP client (telegram video call). Apple TV plays music. All the usual.

One laptop in the loop, does pings to the local server on NAS. That is all. The purpose of the test is to check the stability of the WiFi (spoiler-no stability), temperature control, control the stability of the LAN ports.

There are a lot of problems. Previously, WiFi 5GHz dropped every 9-12 hours. Then the problem with the reactive reboot started. It looks like this: all WiFi and even LAN disappears (which was not there before) and after 3-5 seconds, it seems to start back, but all network tasks (copying) are interrupted and can not continue.

I put additional radiators on the case (without modifying the case), reduced the number of LAN ports used (although this is absurd) , and a bunch of other shamanic dances with a tambourine. Same result.

The problem is that fighting for a whole year with this router, I missed the chance to return or change it under warranty. I've already accepted the idea of losing money for it, although $250 is a lot of money for me, but I can't accept that there's no way to make it work properly.

I am ready to disassemble it, make any log, and so on, to help the community find the problem in the first batches. I have been working with Mikrotik products for many years and this is the first "black sheep" in this herd. Excuse me for this comparison.

What should I do to make it work as planned on paper?

UPD: At the moment, I have turned off all the radio modules and am checking the LAN ports on the latest firmware. I need to get 10Gb over SFP+ and I want to understand if it can work stably at least without WiFi.

UPD2: without WiFi router works acceptably. With WiFi and 6 clients WiFi drops under load (everyone downloads a file or watches local Plex) after 10-15 minutes, no more. It's just a nightmare... The same usage scenario with the "old" hp ac works without any problems. Pls check report.

Thanks team.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB4011 (WiFi) and again about the stability of the work.

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Well, very sorry to hear of your troubles. I enjoy MikroTik products and I hate to hear such stories. I think if you could, mail it to a forum member who is very familiar with the WiFi side of thing. You know, to offer some proof to help your case. You probably really do have a bad hardware unit. However, I understand a lot of people have had issues with the wifi on these units. I use them as routers, and have found them stable for that purpose.

Nirox
Topic Author

Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:19 pm

Well, very sorry to hear of your troubles. I enjoy MikroTik products and I hate to hear such stories. I think if you could, mail it to a forum member who is very familiar with the WiFi side of thing. You know, to offer some proof to help your case. You probably really do have a bad hardware unit. However, I understand a lot of people have had issues with the wifi on these units. I use them as routers, and have found them stable for that purpose.
To my deep regret, it will be very expensive to send it somewhere from me (UAE), and I am not ready to spend it again. I know Mikrotik well and have been using them in almost all my projects for many years. During all this time, there was only one floating problem, and then it was due to a memory defect. I changed it under warranty for a few weeks.

If I knew about the problems with WiFi, I would not overpay 50 USD ) for antennas that can not be removed without using the power of the Torus and pliers.

Can Mikrotik prove itself and exchange it for a working copy despite the end of the warranty? I understand that this is a dream, but for me it would be very appropriate.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:29 am

I wouldn't have gone with this beast for WiFi simply because where you could run decently so many cables, usualy ain't a great spot for an AP, and viceversa, where there's a good spot for an AP it usualy isn't a good place to bring so many cables. But:
I'd use it with wireless disabled, if it is stable that way.
Maybe the WiFi modules overheat? what TX power you run on them? tried lowering TX power? same instability?

Nirox
Topic Author

Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:38 am

Hello team!

Now the power is standard, I did not change it. And yes, I tried making it low.

I spoke again with the support service. And they was recommended to re-install the system via Netinstall. I made this. Now I observe the behavior of the device. I'll let you know about the results. Today is only the third day.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:49 am

Standard= ?? :) unless you select "regulatory-domain" for "frequency-mode" and choose the right country, "standard".. might not be so power friendly. Check the status tab on each interface.