Community discussions

MikroTik App

scyron
just joined
Topic Author

Bridge Mikrotik Routers through SFP

Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:32 am

Here's my setup:
I have an ISP generic ONT receiving the fiber and configured with the provided SLID during the installation. This device (ISP ONT) is connected on my fresh Mikrotik Router (hEX S), where it divides the VLAN domain of transmission, authenticates with PPPoE and bridges the connection to all my regular devices through LAN.

Simple.

Now, I need to to bridge the connection from Mikrotik hEX S to another router, a Mikrotik CAS125-24G-15-IN that is around 60 meters of distance from my hEX S setup.

Initially I planned to simply pull a CAT 6 line from my hEX S to my CAS125. But I realized I have a Huawei GPON-OLT-CLASS B+, that I previously bought to use on my hEX S to replace my ISP ONT (which didn't work due to the ISP not whitelisting my unit) and a fiber cable laying around here.

So, Here's my dilemma: If I get another Huawei GPON-OLT-CLASS B+ unit, connect it on my CAS125 SFP port and pull the fiber from my hEX S to the CAS125 (both using the same Huawei GPON units on the respective router's SFP ports), would I be able to bridge/receive the internet connection from my hEX S to my CAS125? Is there the need of specific GBIC units for that? And what are the complications from this type of installation?

Hope you wizards can give me some wisdom here. I'm fairly new to all this network enterprise grade technology.

elbob2002
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Bridge Mikrotik Routers through SFP

Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 am

So you want to connect your router to your switch using a GPON SFP module to another GPON SFP module?

I don't think that will work as GPON is a little more complicated than a couple of regular fibre SFPs.

Buy a couple of cheap MM or SM SFPs instead.

scyron
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Exactly the answer I needed! I appreciate that.

Would you be able to tell me if there's any configuration needed after the installation for such small distance? OLS/OPM metering should be necessary?

Also, regarding the cheap SM SFPs. I'm only finding LC/LC. I'm planning to go with this installation using SC connectors. Can you point me to any models in specific?

Gooogast
just joined

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:47 pm

Any pair o short range of MMF LC Gigabit transceivers should fit.
I have not seen sfp SC transceivers for short range.

Mikrotik example S-85DLC05D
They should work without any setup.

scyron
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:21 pm

So, the SFP transceiver should be close to the range I'm working with? Or is that more of a cost concern?

I've found the following models for an accessible price where I'm based:

Sfp 1g Datacom Bidi 1310/1550-20km- Pb351G-L60D
Sfp 1.25g 20km Bidi Sc Ddm Tx1310-rx1550nm Ge-lx-b35s

They are both 20km as you can see but extremely affordable. I have fiber patches laying here, and we are probably talking about even less then 60m.

I've strongly considered using Cat 6 cabling instead of messing with fiber. My major concerns are interference, attenuation, and external factors such as the climate (heavy rain). These cables wouldn't be too far from power generators and massive MIMOs. And I'm deducing degradation in the quality of transmission.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bridge Mikrotik Routers through SFP  [SOLVED]

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:06 pm

With fibre optics there are two things to consider:
  1. fibre type. There are two: single-mode and multi-mode and each requires corresponding SFP modules.
    Multi-mode is strictly for short-range (up to around 500 metres), single-mode is for all ranges.
  2. if using single-mode, one has to be careful about range: medium-range SFPs (e.g. 20km) might be too strong for extremely short links. Long-range SFPs (40km+) are definitely too strong for short-range links.
    If in doubt, check specs: Tx power and Rx sensitivity ranges should overlap as short fibre links have next to zero loss.
    With multi-mode power ballance is not an issue - range is limited due to other reasons.

As to connector types: usually the issue is solved by using patch cables with different connectors on both ends.