Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

wAP ac LTE6: 41n is 5G?

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:14 am

I noticed that the 41n band supported by the wAP LTE6 is actually 5G. Is this a simple oversight to not call the wAP 5G, or is it actually the "old" 4G version of 41 that is only supported?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP ac LTE6: 41n is 5G?

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:26 pm

Most of frequency bands now used for various mobile technologies, are legally speaking technologically neutral. Which means that operator gets license to use certain sub-band to build public mobile network and it's up to operator to choose technology to operate. A pretty notable example in Eutope is band 8 - a few decades back it was initial frequency band for GSM (900 Mhz). Now it's used for GSM (2G), UMTS (3G) and LTE (4G). Since availability is pretty scarce, most operators use it for single or two technologies, however choice of technologies is varying between operators (even in same country), hence in some spots one can see all 3 technologies using B8 (by 2 or more operators).

Since basic 5G radio is not that much different than 4G, most vendors (both network equipment and terminals) initially re-used radios for 4G and only did SW upgrades to support 5G (that's where SDR shines ... Software Defined Radio). New radios will be developed after it becomes clear which new bands will actually be used. BTW same thing happened with 4G in Europe, effectively first widely deployed bands were bands previously used for older technologies (B3 used for GSM1800), modern radios simply received SW upgrade.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:44 pm

So, you're saying 41n is "basic 5G" and can be a software drop-in to existing 4G equipment? If so, then I guess it's a good deal for me.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:00 pm

No, I'm saying band 41 (n or without it) is a frequency band which can be used for 4G and/or 5G. It then depends on particular equipment whether it supports one or both technologies (which are similar but obviously not the same). With terminals (modems) it's not very often that software upgrade would add support for a more complex technology (5G is more complex than 4G) because small devices produced in massive quantities and supposed to consume minimum of energy due to portability are generally powerful barely enough to cope with their intended use.

In short: I don't think wAP LTE6 will ever support 5G without physical change of modem. I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for a drop-in replacement either.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:39 pm

mkx - my guru say:
In short: I don't think wAP LTE6 will ever support 5G without physical change of modem. I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for a drop-in replacement either.
we tested and with m.2 adapter we can run the quectel em502q module, it's work but still problems with heat... cheap usb2.0 adapter... and problems with connecting a proper antenna are limitation, like stable ros7.

About R11e-LTE6 - some stuff can be enabled by firmware:
This one screenshot should give new light:

Band Bit Map at that unit R11e-LTE6 can be disabled or modify at many lte units. When this is checked then we see that CA 8+8 cannot be used but manual say it's possible. Case R11e-LTE6 CA Band's 8+8

example EP06-E can have unlock or enable the 256qam and new discovery show the 3CA can be unlock/enabled too ... that's why R11e-LTE6 can change that Bit Map in firmware until Hardware support that changes.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:23 am

example EP06-E can have unlock or enable the 256qam and new discovery show the 3CA can be unlock/enabled too ... that's why R11e-LTE6 can change that Bit Map in firmware until Hardware support that changes.
Is this as easy as installing a firmware update from the wAP itself?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:19 am

Cablenut9
Is this as easy as installing a firmware update from the wAP itself?
RouterOS upgrade: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:U ... ic_upgrade
and
LTE module firmware upgrade: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... re_upgrade