Community discussions

MikroTik App

garethb
just joined
Topic Author

LtAP WLAN1 MMCX PCB socket Antenna selection

Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:25 am

Hello, I am having trouble locating where in the software it is located to enable the external 2x MMCX PCB sockets so we can utilize external 2.4 GHz antennas
Many thanks in advance.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LtAP WLAN1 MMCX PCB socket Antenna selection

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:16 pm

Appears to be on the screenshoot.

Regards.

garethb
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:03 am

Thanks for that, It would have been immediately obvious if they were labelled Internal and external antenna rather than A or B.
Thanks again :-)

CuriousKiwi

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks for that, It would have been immediately obvious if they were labelled Internal and external antenna rather than A or B.
Thanks again :-)
So to clarify, is Antenna B the MMCX connectors?
Do you know which of the connectors is chain 0 and chain 1?

Thanks

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:29 am

I'm not have connected anything on the MMCX connectors and setting up as Antenna A or Antenna B mode, anyway I can see my neighbor's wifi.

Regards.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:45 am

AFAIK antenna connectors are connected in parallel to internal wifi antennae. And it's been mentioned multiple times by MT staff that on most device models these antennae connectors are not actually meant to connect external antennae, they are rather test points used in production process. Seems LtAP has proper antenna connectors installed though.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure terms antenna A and antenna B refer to individual antennae and as most modern wifi devices support (at least) 2-chain operations (that's MIMO 2x2), these antennae correspond to chains 0 and 1 in normal operation. I don't know about exact mapping (could be chain 0 maps to antenna A but that's not necessarily true).

One can perform a test: configure wireless only to use chain 0 for Tx. Then cover one of built-in antennae with some aluminium foil and measure wifi signal strength (at normal distance, e.g. a few metres away). Then uncover the first antenna and covert the other one. Recheck wifi signal at the very same spot. The antenna which was covered when signal strength was (considerably) lower is antenna used for chain 0.