Community discussions

MikroTik App

lordzar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

LTE: My 2 cents.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 am

For the last 6 months or so I've been testing various configurations using LHG LTE's against Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T.

LHGR - LTE4 - T-Mobile: Solid performer, no real issues.

LHGR - LTE6 - T-Mobile: Absolute CRAP. Pointing at the same tower as the LTE4 yet half the speed.

LHGR - LTE6 - AT&T: Disappointing, but probably an AT&T issue. I was only ever able to get around 8Mbps thru AT&T but was able to get CA running, but STILL only 8M per chan. (8x2)

LHGR - EC25 - Verizon (Visible): Surprisingly solid performer, no real issues, and going thru the Visible sub, they have not throttled even once when exceeding Verizon's normal 20G.

I am now trying to get an EP06-A running. Having lots of issues but hope to test against Verizon and T-Mobile soon.
And someday I'd love to get a 5G modem card and test that... but, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Spicyname
just joined

Re: LTE: My 2 cents.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:40 am

Do one of the lhgr builds come with ec25 in it already, what speeds do you usually get on visible with this? Thanks

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:11 am

Hello, Quectel is for me best option for US.

Please check:
USA and Quectel viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173728&p=849836#p849836
@jspool and @JardinEspanol say: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=173138

LHGR mode: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=173341#p849250
HowTo EP06-E/A viewtopic.php?f=3&t=150368#p787894

lordzar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Do one of the lhgr builds come with ec25 in it already, what speeds do you usually get on visible with this? Thanks
No... I had to install the EC25. Here is a test from 8 in the morning... but during the day it's typically 35-45m.
duration: 11s
rx-current: 80.9Mbps
rx-10-second-average: 73.0Mbps
rx-total-average: 73.0Mbps
random-data: no
direction: receive
connection-count: 20
local-cpu-load: 82%

-----------------------
[edited]
pin-status: ok
registration-status: registered
functionality: full
manufacturer: Quectel
model: EC25
revision: EC25VFAR02A13M4G
current-operator: Visible
access-technology: LTE
earfcn: 2050 (band 4, bandwidth 20Mhz)
rssi: -42dBm
rsrp: -70dBm
rsrq: -7dB
sinr: 22dB

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:34 pm

nice,
Sometimes I use a testmy.net with phone/laptop who will a graph of 1d of speedtest's.
Old example:
testmy.net.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lordzar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:22 pm

nice,
Sometimes I use a testmy.net with phone/laptop who will a graph of 1d of speedtest's.
Old example:
testmy.net.jpg
Never heard of that site. Going to check them out. Thanks.

Spicyname
just joined

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:09 pm

Ok so I got the Lhg have the EC25 in it have it mounted and Poe ran have my visible sim in it, but can’t connect into it through the 192.168.88.1 ip, I’ve tried multiple browsers and turning my Pc on and off I can see it in winbox but have no set up guide for the lhg in that, any help thanks

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:16 pm

Spicyname say:
Ok so I got the Lhg have the EC25 in it have it mounted and Poe ran have my visible sim in it, but can’t connect into it through the 192.168.88.1 ip, I’ve tried multiple browsers and turning my Pc on and off I can see it in winbox but have no set up guide for the lhg in that, any help thanks
You login into RouterOS to check that case ? Many stuff can not work and your end-client's can not have internet.
Try checking internet first directly from router, stuff like:
what logs say
if lte1 is detected
if lte1 is running
if I can ping internet.. todo to check is like here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=171129&p=845504#p845504

lordzar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:21 pm

When in doubt use the MAC.

From another router you would use mac-telnet, from winbox, assuming you see the device as a neighbor, you would click on the mac address and not the ip addr.

If you are not seeing it at all, you are having other issues. Try a factory default.

jspool

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:53 pm

At least in North America Mikrotik modems are borderline worthless with their lack of bands and certifications. I question why they even made modems at all considering the amount of time and money it takes to develop & certify the modems on all the carriers everywhere. They are stingy on providing AT command references unlike every other modem manufacturer. More focus on v7 and core offerings would lead to happier customers. The Chateau used a Quectel modem which is good but they for some insane reason did not put an M.2 slot in it or provide variations of the soldered in modem to fit the various countries. If they just put an M.2 slot in and let us put out own Quectel modem in it would have been great. For mPCIe slots the Cat4 Quectel EC25-AF is the best all around for a non CA modem as it has nearly every band needed for North America use. I have used it on Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, FirstNET, Consumer Cellular with no issue. EP06-A has not been very stable in my testing. I generally use the EM12-G in a hAP AC3 LTE with an adapter card and that works quite well when using v7 RouterOS. Most of the other SXT are so tight inside the adapter card wont fit and most of the EM12-G only seem to be stable when in the ARM based Mikrotiks. Quectel modems are actually certified for most carriers in North America and Internationally and their support and firmware release cycle are quite good. You can also get drivers for Windows, Linux, Android etc. I have even been able to send my own OTA firmware updates to the Quectel modems. I never did get Visible to work as they normally require their app on the device to activate the service. Be interesting to see if you get Visible to work.

Spicyname
just joined

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:34 am

When in doubt use the MAC.

From another router you would use mac-telnet, from winbox, assuming you see the device as a neighbor, you would click on the mac address and not the ip addr.

If you are not seeing it at all, you are having other issues. Try a factory default.
Thanks I reset everything then was able to get in and update, to router os 7 I have both a ec25 and a ep06-a
Do I need to put them in a usb sled to get the Lhg to recognize them? I’m planing on running visible also, I have it in a we826-t2 right now,

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:22 am

Spicyname say:
... router os 7 I have both a ec25 and a ep06-a
Do I need to put them in a usb sled to get the Lhg to recognize them?
Yes, you can install lte module, only one at time because LHGR have 1x mPCIe slot. You must select what you want test.
Check a Hardware Manual and AT Commands for both - then you will have all information.

Spicyname
just joined

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:35 am

Could you explain your settings and how you got visible all set up for ec25
Thanks lordzar

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:08 pm

Spicyname
just joined

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:23 pm

For the last 6 months or so I've been testing various configurations using LHG LTE's against Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T.

LHGR - LTE4 - T-Mobile: Solid performer, no real issues.

LHGR - LTE6 - T-Mobile: Absolute CRAP. Pointing at the same tower as the LTE4 yet half the speed.

LHGR - LTE6 - AT&T: Disappointing, but probably an AT&T issue. I was only ever able to get around 8Mbps thru AT&T but was able to get CA running, but STILL only 8M per chan. (8x2)

LHGR - EC25 - Verizon (Visible): Surprisingly solid performer, no real issues, and going thru the Visible sub, they have not throttled even once when exceeding Verizon's normal 20G.

I am now trying to get an EP06-A running. Having lots of issues but hope to test against Verizon and T-Mobile soon.
And someday I'd love to get a 5G modem card and test that... but, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Could I send you my email and you could just send me your lhgr backup fill, since I’m trying to do the same thing you’ve already accomplished

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:06 am

Could I send you my email and you could just send me your lhgr backup fill, since I’m trying to do the same thing you’ve already accomplished
I answer you at other post you write.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172102&p=852103#p852103

LoneRager

Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:35 pm

Im beating my head against a wall trying to figure out how to get Visible to work with my SXT + EC25-AF setup. How did you get it to work?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:39 am

LoneRager write:
Im beating my head against a wall trying to figure out how to get Visible to work with my SXT + EC25-AF setup. How did you get it to work?
We some time ago use RouterOS v7 and EC25-AFX - it is just show as lte1 interface out-of-box.
We use own proper APN with settings by terminal: /interface/lte/apn/set use-network-apn=no
and internet works. With some ISP we must change IMEI but this is other story.

You not write exactly what problem you have, you write general.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:48 pm

For Visible, you can activate the device using another phone's IMEI, say using old iPhone or Android IMEI number, and then move the SIM is about all you can do.

"Visible" is actually Verizon's newer app-based service. Similar to how "Cricket" prepaid is actually owned by AT&T. Basically it's Verizon's way of selling eSIMs from an app and having an alternative sales channel for their network. But your SXT+EC25 issue is Verizon only allows devices that have been Verizon certified. It's not a "lock", if the IMEI number (essentially, the modem's MAC address) isn't in their database as a support modem, Verizon thus Visible will not activate a modem not in what they call their "DMD database" (essentially the list of IMEI's uploaded by manufacturers of Verizion-certified device).

At least in North America Mikrotik modems are borderline worthless with their lack of bands and certifications.
Verizon long used Band 13 in US, and Band 13 is required for Verizon certification. So the EC25 wouldn't even be certifiable by Verizon. And, since Visible uses Verizon's network, it follows the same rules.