Community discussions

MikroTik App

Stonks
just joined
Topic Author

S+RJ10 transceiver 101oC temperature - Causing burn injury

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:35 pm

I ordered 2x MikroTik SFP+ module for regular twisted-pair LAN cables S+RJ10 tranceivers" from a uk supplier called wifi-stock.co.uk
https://www.wifi-stock.co.uk/details/MI ... sRJ10.html

I inserted 1x into a MikroTik CCR 1009 Router 10gb Port. RouterOS 6.48.1
I inserted 1x into a MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+ Switch. SwOS 2.12.

I initially experienced many stability issues with these tranceivers, with the links flapping and re-negotiating between 2.5 to 5 to 10Gbps, up and down in several attempts.
I changed and tried several other CAT6 cables.
Eventually without explanation the flapping issues have disappeared.

Today I inspected my equipment, and planned to switch the tranceiver from Port 1 to Port 2 in the Switch, and the CCR 1009 Router from the 10Gbit port to the 1Gbit port. Just to test both the ports.

Whilst moving and handling the tranceiver in the MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+ switch, upon touching the tranceiver I burnt my fingers. The surface temperature of these devices is EXCEPTIONALLY hot. I would say they are dangerous!

I note in the packaging that there is no such health warning about handling these. I assume these temperatures are not normal?

My colleague promptly logged in and checked the device status on both Router and Switch.

I was mortified to learn that one tranceiver is operating at 101oC in the Switch and 87oC in the Router. I believe this temperate is an unsafe operational temperature, and quite possibly a Fire risk. We also pointed an infrared thermometer gun at this tranceiver and the temperatures were consistant with those reported in the software.

The MikroTik operational temperature of these devices is 0 to 70oC. Both of the devices are operating outside of these parameters, and one in particular is dangerously high.

EDIT - I have now tested 2x 10GTek optical Transceivers. The temps are 31oC and 35oC respectively.

So what gives, are they faulty? Am I alone in finding these operating at insanely high temperatures? Something does not seem right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hominidae

Re: S+RJ10 transceiver 101oC temperature - Causing burn injury

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:00 pm

not uncommon...mine run at 75-80degC, sometimes, depending on ambient temps hotter than that....and yes, the 10GBE-T Transceivers tend to consume about 7-8times the amount of power of their fiber/optical based "sisters".
See: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/S%2BRJ10 ... l_guidance

inteq

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 pm

My solution on the only two switches using those modules is to put a small 40mm fan inside blowing straight onto the modules and one on the back exhausting air.
Ugly part: requires an external power supply for the fans.
sfp.png
Fun fact: both modules are in use, nevertheless, one is always 10 degrees Celsius hotter than the other for some strange reason.
They are "cheap" for a good reason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:51 pm

Is well known the problem of temperatures with these modules.

Regards.

jebz

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 am

If the devices are very close you could try an optical DAC cable -
https://mikrotik.com/product/xs_da0001

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:23 pm

I've seen people using small heatsinks on this modules. They are fixed with thermal pads on the up and downside of the modules. On that little square space, that stays outside of the router/switch.

If I remember correctly, the difference was remarkable.