Community discussions

MikroTik App

FatOldSun
just joined
Topic Author

Chateau hanging

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:45 pm

I have a Chateau router (RBD53G-5HacD2HnD) running the original firmware it came with, 7.0 beta 6. Every day or two it completely hangs, the lights are on but not blinking, and it cannot be pinged. I have to reset it using the power switch. Is this likely to be a hardware problem or a firmware problem? Are there any dangers with upgrading it to 7.1 beta 5? Thanks.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Chateau hanging

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:13 pm

In theory[*], 71.beta5 should be better than 7.0beta6. But since it's still beta (and beta in MT world means less than usually in ICT world) you never know if your particular unit will like it better or not. So before you upgrade your unit, do the following:
  1. create (binary) backup (/system backup save name=<backup name> dont-encrypt)
  2. create text export of configuration (/export file=<export name>)
  3. fetch both resulting files to management computer
  4. ideally get installation package for ROS 7.0beta6 for right architecture (probably it's arm, but check what your device says under architecture-name in /system resource print)

Several things can go wrong when upgrading between different beta versions. It can happen that after you upgrade ROS, device simply won't boot (actually it'll enter boot loop). The only way out is netinstall in which case you'll need either backup or export (done in bullets #1 and #2). It can also happen that device will boot after upgrade but the configuration will be somehow damaged (the same could happen if you have to netinstall the unit and you'll use backup file to restore configuration). In this case it's best to reset unit to factory default configuration and apply minimum needed changes ... looking into textual export (done in bullet #2) will help you in this process.

If everything fails, you can still try to downgrade unit to current ROS version (hence bullet #4), in this case restoring from binary backup (bullet #1) should succeed.

[*]it's well known that in theory there is no difference between theory and practice, while in practice the difference is huge
Last edited by mkx on Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatOldSun
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:21 pm

Thanks. If only everything worked as per the theory! I think I'll wait till I'm less dependent on it for working from home. Rebooting it every couple of days is annoying but manageable, and I have a very slow but reliable broadband line which kicks in when the 4G disconnects.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:24 pm

This are my HowTo NetInstall.

memelchenkov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:30 pm

Install 7.1b4 or 7.1b5. I use 7.1b4 now with limited config (full feature set not supported in 7x branch yet), works stable. Before export your config in text format. Update could go not smooth.

FatOldSun
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:21 pm

It's all academic now as the Chateau has given up the ghost. Completely dead. I tried a new power adapter but nothing. I've now gone for a Huawei B818 and I'm already getting better speeds, fingers crossed it's more reliable too.

santyx32
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:12 pm

It's all academic now as the Chateau has given up the ghost. Completely dead. I tried a new power adapter but nothing
Have you had luck with Mikrotik RMA process if the Chateau it's still on warranty?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:09 pm

I buy from distributor and without problem they receive any MikroTik unit if he is at warranty period.
They say only LTE devices are going back directly to MikroTik who fix then directly and distributor not do any repait with lte device, they just give us new one.

FatOldSun
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Unfortunately the router was bought in July 2020 and packed up in August this year, with a 12 month warranty from the seller. I suspect it was the frequent power cycling to reboot the router from hung state which caused the failure, but I can't be certain of that.