Community discussions

MikroTik App

GiovanniG
Topic Author

What exactly is the "RJ11 passthrough" in wsAP?

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 am

Hi! I've searched around but I can't figure it out yet.. what does that mean?
It's written it is made to reduce the cabling and to connect a old fixed phone.. then I have a couple of ideas:
1) Does this port is directly connected to one of the 2 free pairs of the main ethernet cable, to bring the telephone line inside the ethert cable too? This can be dangerous (till 150V may appear on ringing), and needs a splitter on the other side.
2) Or does it has a ADC/DAC interface inside and is capable to convert the RJ11 to a VoIP phone?

Well.. this is a mistery!

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What exactly is the "RJ11 passthrough" in wsAP?

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 am

It is exactly what it is named: a passthrough - one port on one side, and one on the other.
With no connection to the rest.

anschluss
just joined

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:17 am

Passthrough means it is completely passive. Have a look at the pictures in the brochure:

https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/wsAP_ ... 180240.pdf

The green "RJ11"/6P2C port at the rear is directly connected to the green port at the bottom, with no connection whatsoever to the router electronics. Whatever is fed into the input goes directly to the output and vice-versa. If you look at the block diagram, the two ports are not even mentioned:

https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/wsAP_ ... 180534.png

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:14 am

Thank you, now it's perfectly clear ) I've downloaded some docs about this wrouter but I couldn't find those infos.