Community discussions

MikroTik App

simsrw73
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to transmit wifi to unattached building?

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:00 pm

I have a small home with an unattached shop in the backyard, about 30m distance. I'm not familiar with the options and there are a lot of hardware options listed. What do I need to get a signal to the shop and then provide wifi access there? Additionally, I'd like to also provide coverage throughout the backyard, the area between the house & shop. I have an hEX S with a CRS112-8G-4S-IN. I plan on adding a CRS112-8P-4S-IN to connect/power some cameras and access point. Currently, I'm using a Google Nest mesh system through the house. What hardware is recommended for my modest setup to reach the backyard & shop?

djdrastic

Re: How to transmit wifi to unattached building?

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 pm

Not a huge Mikrotik wireless guy in general but you can use Mikrotik Wireless Wire kit or use SXTsq 5 ac to connect the 2 buildings.
Coverage between the buildings you'd want a sectored antenna in general though , though Mikrotik doesn't really provide any good 2.4 + 5ghz AIO solution for this.2 WAP AC's on either side of the buildings would work as well if you want to keep it all Mikrotik gear.

Personally I'd just get ubnt gear for this
Last edited by djdrastic on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MickeyT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: How to transmit wifi to unattached building?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:51 am

The wireless wire is a good choice to connect the shed as most of the UniFi solutions for that sort of link are designed for much longer ranges (100+ meters or kilometer+ ranges). Once you've got the connection, putting in a few APs to cover the backyard would be the easiest arrangement. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how much installation/configuration work you want to do.

UniFi equipment works very well but, for the best results, you need the controller software (running on a Cloud Key, Dream Machine or computer) to control the network and configuration. If you don't have the controller then you need to configure each AP individually.