Community discussions

MikroTik App

sylwiusz
just joined
Topic Author

HEX vs HAP AC2

Mon May 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Hello,
I'm new to Mikrotik family, it is nice to meet such a great community! But to the point. As finally FTTH will come to my house I decided to finally upgrade network hardware in my house. After some research I decided to replace everything with Mikrotek hardware to have centralized and easier manageability of all network hardware. Cap AC on the second floor should cover all nearby rooms nicely as signal will have to go through just one 12 cm wall from hollow brick (porotherm), Hap AC2 should easily cover open 40 sq. m day room on the first floor, and 610-8G-2S+IN switch located on attic should give me an option to setup 2,5 Gb connection with 10 Gb SFPs from desktop PC to a file server. The only concern for me is still a router. At first I was thinking about Hex POE to power APs via ethernet but as just CAP AC would require it (and maybe in 4-6 years APs at children's rooms, if any) I decided that I can live with POE injector(s), especially if router and switch are located in a box on an inhabitated attic ;-) So I thought perhaps just plain HEX would be enough (my FTTH will have 300/50 speed with an option to enhance it to 600/100 if needed in a future) but here HAP AC2 came to my mind to use it as a router with its ~2x faster routing speeds. Are there any objections to use HAP AC2 with disabled wireless as a router? What are advantages of using plain HEX compared to AC2 in such a scenario? Hex would probably be pushed to the limits if I ever switch to 600/100 speed in the future while AC2 should still be OK with that. And these are similarly priced devices. RB4011 is rather out of my budget for now. Any thoughts?