Community discussions

MikroTik App

sylwiusz
just joined
Topic Author

Hap Ac2 or Hex Poe - suitability in a given scenario

Mon May 10, 2021 4:41 pm

Hi,
I'll soon have 300/50 FTTH connection and while I almost decided to use Hex Poe/Cap Ac/Hap Ac2 setup (Hap Ac2 and Cap Ac are already bought) with some hesitance regarding Hex Poe performance a friend suggested to use RB260GSP in place of Hex Poe and use Hap Ac2 with Vlans (I have only one cable between attic and 1st floor) as a router as it has more powerful hardware. I'm leaning towards Hex Poe as this setup would be simplier but... My doubts are below with network diagrams:
1. Setup with Hex Poe as a router - I'd like to run CapsMan on it and while I'm pretty sure it will easily deal with 300/50 WAN with fast track enabled I'm not that sure it could cope with eventual 600/100 WAN upgrade (possible in a 4-5 years). Of course I can move CapsMan to Hap Ac2 to save Hex resources if needed. That would be prefereable setup for me, easier to configure. And in 4-5 years maybe there will be Hex Poe 2 ;-)
siec rozewska v2.png
2. Setup with Hap Ac2 as a router - more CPU power to use but more work during setup and my concern if VLAN filtering wouldn't take too much CPU cycles on Hap as it is hardware offloaded only in CSR3xx series.
siec rozewska v1.png
Any thoughts, suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hap Ac2 or Hex Poe - suitability in a given scenario

Mon May 10, 2021 7:44 pm

All are under your control / use or are 3 different group of users for each floor?

sylwiusz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2021 8:48 pm

All are exclusively under my control and use.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hap Ac2 or Hex Poe - suitability in a given scenario  [SOLVED]

Tue May 11, 2021 12:08 am

Do not worry to tag and untag, why lose time to make vlan if all is under your control?

Also CapsMan go to cap ac or hap ac, using the 960P simply as router

The 260 do not have RouterOS and is less customizable

sylwiusz
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 am

Do not worry to tag and untag, why lose time to make vlan if all is under your control?"
The idea to create vlans was based on a fact that from attic to first floor I have just single cable connection. So with just switch on attic it would be necessary to push unrouted VLAN 35 and local network via mentioned one cable.
Also CapsMan go to cap ac or hap ac, using the 960P simply as router
And that's a good idea! I do not have to use CapsMan on Hex Poe!
The 260 do not have RouterOS and is less customizable
So true. If I ever got bored I could convert 960 to plain switch ;-) Anyway after a colleague from Polish Mikrotik user group posted short movie with about 800/800 transfers results from RB960 (I gues with fast path on) so I'm pretty sure it will suit my needs for years to come ithout complicating things with VLANs in this case.
Thanks a lot for your input!