Community discussions

MikroTik App

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mikrotik GPON module

Tue May 11, 2021 2:53 am

I for one would like to see Mikrotik come out with a sfp GPON module - again.

However , this time a sfp GPON module that can be installed in a Mikrotik router where the router/module is mounted in an outdoor ( air-tight ) nema case.
Although the first run ( now discontinued ) sfp GPON modules all died due to heat , I would still like to see a 2nd attempt by Mikrotik to come out with a sfp GPON module that will operate during warm/hot summer days.

I would prefer installing and using a Mikrotik/router/sfp-GPON-module ONT solution verses the GPON ONTs I am already installing ( sometimes up to 10 a day ).

North Idaho Tom Jones

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Mikrotik GPON module

Tue May 11, 2021 3:15 am

I would prefer installing and using a Mikrotik/router/sfp-GPON-module ONT solution verses the GPON ONTs I am already installing ( sometimes up to 10 a day ).
Don't you use Adtran Total Access OLT's? I believe Adtran makes a GPON ONT SFP module. There is information on the module here:

https://supportcommunity.adtran.com/t5/ ... ta-p/24881

They don't have a product page for it, but are looking at buying a few to try them out.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 am

Don't you use Adtran Total Access OLT's? I believe Adtran makes a GPON ONT SFP module. There is information on the module here:

They don't have a product page for it, but are looking at buying a few to try them out.
I have five Adtran TA-5000 units.
For the client(s), I have been using Iphotonix ONTs. The iphotonix ONTs do work - but I miss the flexible do-anything configuration of a Mikrotik router.
I really would like to find a sfp GPON module that works in a Mikrotik --- where the Mikrotik is mounted in an outdoor air-tight case and where the entire ONT device can take the normal summer heat ( just like the iphotonix does and does it well ). I am open for any proven sfp GPON solutions in a Mikrotik that works during all warm/hot summer days.

North Idaho Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 am

I have five Adtran TA-5000 units.
For the client(s), I have been using Iphotonix ONTs. The iphotonix ONTs do work - but I miss the flexible do-anything configuration of a Mikrotik router.
I really would like to find a sfp GPON module that works in a Mikrotik --- where the Mikrotik is mounted in an outdoor air-tight case and where the entire ONT device can take the normal summer heat ( just like the iphotonix does and does it well ). I am open for any proven sfp GPON solutions in a Mikrotik that works during all warm/hot summer days.

Edit - woops - I am getting my ONTs and ONUs backwards - I think.

North Idaho Tom Jones

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue May 11, 2021 4:14 am

Edit - woops - I am getting my ONTs and ONUs backwards - I think.
ONT and ONU are two different acronyms for the same thing, so you can't get them backwards. OLT is the term for the head end device (ex. TA5004).

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 4:43 am

so mducharme , may I ask you if you know of any sfp GPON modules that work in a Mikrotik ( in an air-tight nema outdoor enclosure ) that have been proven worthy of standing up to warm/hot summer days ?

Some of the reasons I want to re-look at a clinet Mikrotik with a sfp GPON module in my GPON networks is the rich configuration capabilities a Mikrotik has available , nat , firewall, tunnels , bw management , SNMP, scripting and custom watch-dogs ... ). Most GPON ONT units ( such as iphotonix ) or any other/all GPON residential-gateway simply lack advanced configurations ( at least any I have considered ).

North Idaho

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue May 11, 2021 4:56 am

so mducharme , may I ask you if you know of any sfp GPON modules that work in a Mikrotik ( in an air-tight nema outdoor enclosure ) that have been proven worthy of standing up to warm/hot summer days ?
As I said, we are looking at trying out the Adtran SFP GPON module - hopefully we will get a few in next week. We are currently running hEX S units with SFP modules as active ethernet ONT's but need a GPON solution. I was hoping to keep using the hEX S for GPON as well as that way we would have things more standardized. I'll let you know if we have any luck with them.

In our case we are trying to avoid outdoor enclosures - we are running fiber directly into the home and terminating on an internal box immediately at the entry point, so temperatures are less of an issue.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 5:26 am

well mducharme , I wish you the best of luck getting a 3'rd party GPON module working in a Mikrotik. At first with my Mikrotiks and sfp modules with the GPON electronics, I had to play with the Adtran configs to get 802.1q trunks running. Access-vlan was straight forward , but I was also trying to make a secondary out-of-band SSID so that I could also create a city-wide SSID fir my roaming GPON customers ( aka something that would also support portable wireless SIP phones ). O and the good thing about using a Mikrotik is that you don't need to configure a SubH :)

North Idaho Tom Jones

Tuxmaster
just joined

Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:49 pm

Exists any news about an new GPON/XGS-PON module?