MikroTik App

mike548141
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Add bluetooth radio to cAP ac or similar AP's

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi

First sorry if this is a duplicate post, I had a search but I wasn't sure what keywords people would use. If it is a duplicate please let me know and I can delete.

I would love the WiFi access points (cAP ac, wAP ac etc) to have a bluetooth radio built in for a few reasons
1. Sniffing for bluetooth devices close by for presence detection, like listening for WiFi probes and beacons.
2. Ability to broadcast a bluetooth becon with a custom UUID e.g. so that a device could know which room it is in. Taking this to a more extreme examples would be to (a) enable Apple/Google exposure notifications where the AP represents a store/location instead of a person (which the phone represents), or (b) create a bridge for devices like AirTags to bridge traffic from Bluetooth to the Internet.
3. Ideally using a chipset that supports Bluetooth 5 BLE Coded PHY to support short and long range, low energy comms.

I have uses for both radio types so it would save having a Bluetooth dedicated AP. I use bluetooth for low energy devices that want to wake transmit and get back to sleep quickly.

Ideally this would be a factory option that I could buy from Mikrotik (a feature request), but I'm also interested if anyone has customised their Mikrotik AP's like this?

Thanks,

MC

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Add bluetooth radio to cAP ac or similar AP's

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:26 pm

Interesting idea,
but inside RouterOS is not present any Bluetoot driver and this type of device are unrecognzed,
no matter if USB or MiniPCIe...

'till KNOT:
https://mikrotik.com/product/knot

I do not have tryed one, for now.

From webpage:
With the Bluetooth interface, you can use the KNOT for asset tracking and telemetry based on Bluetooth advertisement packets. KNOT supports any BLE tag that sends advertisement data. iBeacon, Eddystone or any other format.