Community discussions

MikroTik App

MrBonding
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware of choice for many NVR connections (trough VPNs)

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Hi.
I'd like to access to many NVRs (Network Video Recorder) from a centralized location. I access the NVE through a web interface.

So my idea is to create a VPN Server on the central location, and then a VPN client on each of the NVR's locations.
I'd like to be able to handle around +50 locations, so that means +50 VPN clients connecting my server router.

Which kind of hardware would you choose from that scenario? I've been thinking an RB4011 for the server and something more "basic" for each of the clients (Hex maybe?).
What do you think? What would your approach be?.

I am yet to decide which kind o VPN to use, so any advice is really appreciated.

Many thanks!! Have a nice day

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hardware of choice for many NVR connections (trough VPNs)

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:08 pm

It depends on the amount of traffic you are going to pass through the VPNs, but an RB4011 will probably be OK.

I have over 600 L2TP/IPsec VPNs (~50-60 on average connected concurrently) with over 3800 firewall rules on an RB4011, and it barely breaks a sweat (avg 1-5% CPU).
But the total traffic is <100Mbps.

MrBonding
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hardware of choice for many NVR connections (trough VPNs)

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:23 pm

It depends on the amount of traffic you are going to pass through the VPNs, but an RB4011 will probably be OK.

I have over 600 L2TP/IPsec VPNs (~50-60 on average connected concurrently) with over 3800 firewall rules on an RB4011, and it barely breaks a sweat (avg 1-5% CPU).
But the total traffic is <100Mbps.
Great! I don't think that I'm going to get that much traffic, it's really nice to know that you can handle that with an Rb4011. I think is a safe choice :)

Many thanks for your answer.