Community discussions

MikroTik App

dalirap
just joined
Topic Author

Uncertainty before buying equipment (MikroTik CRS112-8P-4S-IN)

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:14 pm

Hello,
I need a new switch for my neztwerk 8 port PoE+ and fanless.

I have now considered the MikroTik CRS112-8P-4S-IN.
I read that for proper PoE+ I needed a separate power supply 48V2A96W. That's not a problem.

However, I read an Amazon review ( https://www.amazon.de/product-reviews/B ... filter-bar ) that the switch would be very bad (throughput performance) if you enable some basic features (like: VLAN). Here I am now very uncertain. The device first looks very good from me and I am also very satisfied with my previous Mikrotik device (MikroTik RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN).
Now I am very unsure about the rating.
How do you guys see it? Is the CRS112-8P-4S-IN a good device or does it have the described performance problems when activating important basic functions?

Thanks for your help.
Many greetings

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Uncertainty before buying equipment (MikroTik CRS112-8P-4S-IN)  [SOLVED]

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:27 pm

that the switch would be very bad (throughput performance) if you enable some basic features (like: VLAN).
Depending on what you call "basic features".
If that's L3 (routing) features: routing, firewall, NAT, then yes, it's not a powerful router at all, although it can do all that.
Talking about L2 (switch) features: that is not true, it can do pretty serious stuff wirespeed. And of course that includes VLANs.

Also keep in mind that it has pretty low PoE budget for af/at devices, only around 67-80W total, depending on input voltage (48 to 57V).
And no more than 21-25W per port. So probably 57V power supply would be a better idea.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Uncertainty before buying equipment (MikroTik CRS112-8P-4S-IN)

Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:32 pm

VLAN switching and other L2-functions works great, but you have to do it correctly under /interface ethernet switch and not under /interface bridge.

And it will do some L3 routing/firewall as well for slower connections if needed.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:24 pm

I do not recommend this switch … you are much better off looking at the TP-Link TL-SG1008MP
Or wait for Mikrotik to release a modern day 8 port PoE+ switch …… the CRS112-8P-4S-IN is old technology.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:48 pm

I agree with @xvo...
CRS112 is a switch, it can handle L3 traffic but with very low performance...
Also, it can do VLANs but with the old way, not with Bridge VLAN filtering cause you will loose the Hardware offload...
And it can power passive and af/at devices if the correct PSU is used ...

dalirap
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:37 pm

Thanks for the answers, that helps me make my decision.

If that's L3 (routing) features: routing, firewall, NAT, then yes, it's not a powerful router at all, although it can do all that.
Talking about L2 (switch) features: that is not true, it can do pretty serious stuff wirespeed. And of course that includes VLANs.
Ok that is absolutely enough for me. The device will be a pure L2 device.

Also keep in mind that it has pretty low PoE budget for af/at devices, only around 67-80W total, depending on input voltage (48 to 57V).
And no more than 21-25W per port. So probably 57V power supply would be a better idea.
Thanks. I'll take another close look at the power supplies.

VLAN switching and other L2-functions works great, but you have to do it correctly under /interface ethernet switch and not under /interface bridge.
Understood, I would configure it that way then.

I do not recommend this switch … you are much better off looking at the TP-Link TL-SG1008MP
Unfortunately I need fanless. The TP has 1xFan according to the homepage.

Or wait for Mikrotik to release a modern day 8 port PoE+ switch …… the CRS112-8P-4S-IN is old technology.
Are there any plans here for such a device in the near future?
And is this just about VLAN (bridge VLAN vs old way)? Or old technology in still other functions?

Also, it can do VLANs but with the old way, not with Bridge VLAN filtering cause you will loose the Hardware offload...
I honestly don't know the advantage of Bridge VLAN filtering either or if I need that.
Basically I need a VLAN function of course. What do I get from this technology as opposed to the traditional way?

Thank you very much and greetings.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:35 pm

"Bridge VLAN" is the new approach (done under /interface bridge) - on CRS3xx-series this automatically translates down to the hardware. The CRS112 has filtering to but is done under /interface ethernet switch as well.

Of course it would be welcomed that CRS1xx would align with CRS3xx configuration wise some day - but it's very different architectures.

dalirap
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:35 pm

"Bridge VLAN" is the new approach (done under /interface bridge) - on CRS3xx-series this automatically translates down to the hardware. The CRS112 has filtering to but is done under /interface ethernet switch as well.

Of course it would be welcomed that CRS1xx would align with CRS3xx configuration wise some day - but it's very different architectures.
Ok understand, so I guest I don't really need the function.

Thank you all for helping me out.

Greetings