Community discussions

MikroTik App

wintaeh
just joined
Topic Author

RBM33G + 5G

Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Hello MikroTik-Users,

we use the RBM33G as our main mobile router in our cars.
It works really well with two LTE modems in the PCIe slots and appropriate antennas. The default route switches to the one with better signal - awesome!

Now, we want to go for 5G instead. Is somebody already using 5G with MikroTik? Does a 5G modem exist, which is supported by RouterOS?

Is it even possible to connect a 5G modem to the RBM33G? 5G modems always come with a M.2 connection. Does it work with one of the SIM-Slots on the RBM33G or do I have to use an adapter from PCIe to M.2 to get it to work?

Any suggestion or idea would be awesome.

Thanks!

wintaeh
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RBM33G + 5G

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:09 pm

I just want to let you know, that this idea is possible.

I successfully connected a Quectel RM500Q-AE with a generic PCIe to M.2 adapter.
At first the module did not show up in the interfaces menu but after updating to ROS 7 it showed and works now.
The sim slot on the RBM33G is also working with that cheap adapter.

I attached three little antennas on antenna port 0 to 2 (the last one is only for GPS, I think) and successfully received data over a 5G station.

I hope, someone could get some value out of this and reactivates his RBM33G.

Tschüss!

Dude2048
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:27 pm

Totally off topic because i couldn't find the mail button to do this in private, but how do you make the switch to the card with the better signal? It is a fairly new situation for me and maybe you could help me with signal levels to watch.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:31 pm

M11G and M33G with m.2 adapter can run a Quectel RM50x series of 5G cards.
Signal is depend from antenna you use, and how you connect the antennas in order.

To watch a signals I recommend script from https://confusedbird.com/thread-123.html called: MIMO Layer Signal Readings

wintaeh
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:00 pm

Signal is depend from antenna you use, and how you connect the antennas in order.

To watch a signals I recommend script from https://confusedbird.com/thread-123.html called: MIMO Layer Signal Readings
Cool - thank you very much!

@Dude2048
I use this script to choose LTE devices automatically (attachment). This chooses the device with LTE connected over the other which has a lower speed band. The route priority is defined through distance value 130 and 140. Just put these scripts in the scheduler and set an interval of your liking.

Sorry - I forgot the parts, where the variables are declared. Now they're attached, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

conecting

Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi,
Does anybody tried to put Quectel RM500Q-AE inside in RBLHGGR&R11e-LTE6 ?
Will it fit ?

Bomber67

Tue May 10, 2022 2:30 pm

I apologize for my sheer ignorance, but have you used this combination yourself?

Finally I managed to acheive an RBM33G, a Quectel RM502Q-AE 5G card and the appropriate pigtails (first I thought the connectors were u.fl but they are w.fl), but I'm unable to fit the 5G card in the M.2 slot.
AFAIK both RBM33G and the RM502Q-AE are specified to be M key M.2, but the smallest part of the contact edge of the card won't fit in the socket because this part of the socket is too narrow (the largest appears to do).
Apart from that, even if it did fit, the body of the card is too wide to fit besides the USB socket on the RB.....

Are there more variants of M.2? Or will I have to get some MiniPCI-E to M.2 adapter to use the RM502Q-AE with Mikrotik?

Anyone to shed some light on this?

JimKusz
just joined

Tue May 10, 2022 8:40 pm

You will definitely need to use a PCIe to M.2 B-Key adapter. Cell modems are all B key, M-key is only useful for storage as far as I know.

Can you provide info on your pigtails for the cell antennas?

I'm trying to get The RM500Q-GL working in an RB of some sort (wanted to use a wAP-G, but there isn't enough physical space for the length of the card, especially after the PCIe to M.2 adapter). I purchased a LtAP to try and see if it would fit and work; should show up tomorrow. Still don't have antenna connectors/pigtails/adapters for it, as it uses the smaller connector than the 4G-LTE standard Microtik designed around.

Bomber67

Wed May 11, 2022 8:34 am

You will definitely need to use a PCIe to M.2 B-Key adapter. Cell modems are all B key, M-key is only useful for storage as far as I know.

Can you provide info on your pigtails for the cell antennas?

I'm trying to get The RM500Q-GL working in an RB of some sort (wanted to use a wAP-G, but there isn't enough physical space for the length of the card, especially after the PCIe to M.2 adapter). I purchased a LtAP to try and see if it would fit and work; should show up tomorrow. Still don't have antenna connectors/pigtails/adapters for it, as it uses the smaller connector than the 4G-LTE standard Microtik designed around.
Thank you!
Apart from using M.2 SSDs in the RBM33G (and in PCs) I'm rather new to the M.2 word and the various standards, and also the relation to PCI-E.
Ok, then I'll get hold on such an adapter.

Can you point me towards one?
Will for instance this one do the trick?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143003158060

I ordered these pigtails: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184297288505
Like you, from the start I did not pay attention to pigtails as I wrongly assumed the connectors were u.fl..
The world of RF connectors is not easy to get an overview of, as there are numerous new variants with slightly different dimensions. A few hours of googling learnt me that the right connector for the card comes under different names: Hirose W. FL, Amphenol AMMC and MHF4.

LtAP is a nice device with lots of possibilities, hope you get it running.
I'm going for RBM33G with aluminum (RB433-style) casing.

chemistry
just joined

Thu May 12, 2022 6:25 pm

Hello!

I am planning to switch from LTE to 5G.
Right now i got a RBM33G with a USB3 Adapter and a Sierra EM7565 LTE modem on it - all together with a XPOL-2-5G 2x2 Mimo Antenna.

I read in your posts about the Quectel RM500Q-AE working on the RBM33G and started to plan to buy this Modem as it is available here in Austria.

Question - can i still use the USB3 Adapter with the new modem or does it have to be a m2 adapter?
If so - can you suggest one working?

thx a lot!!

Bomber67

Fri May 13, 2022 8:02 am

Hello!

Right now i got a RBM33G with a USB3 Adapter and a Sierra EM7565 LTE modem on it - all together with a XPOL-2-5G 2x2 Mimo Antenna.

I read in your posts about the Quectel RM500Q-AE working on the RBM33G and started to plan to buy this Modem as it is available here in Austria.

Question - can i still use the USB3 Adapter with the new modem or does it have to be a m2 adapter?

thx a lot!!
I'm trying to navigate in the world of NGFF, M.2 and MiniPCIe, and according to JimKusz here these cards are B key M.2 as I suppose the Sierra Card is too.
Therefore there should be nothing keeping you from using the USB2 adapter for the Quectel card as well.
However, to me an adapter from MiniPCI-E to M.2 B key sounds like a more "native" solution, instead of going via USB.
Some years ago I tested a few USB 3G cards on Routerboards and my experience was frequent "freezes" needing an USB reset.
BTW, Same thing I saw with Sierra MiniPCI-E cards, and I did not see stability for months before the Mikrotik R11e LTE cards.
But of course, I might not have the full picture.

So if availabe, MiniPCI-e to M.2 is my bet.

JimKusz
just joined

Sun May 15, 2022 7:55 am

Thank you!
Apart from using M.2 SSDs in the RBM33G (and in PCs) I'm rather new to the M.2 word and the various standards, and also the relation to PCI-E.
Ok, then I'll get hold on such an adapter.

Can you point me towards one?
Will for instance this one do the trick?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143003158060

I ordered these pigtails: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184297288505
Like you, from the start I did not pay attention to pigtails as I wrongly assumed the connectors were u.fl..
The world of RF connectors is not easy to get an overview of, as there are numerous new variants with slightly different dimensions. A few hours of googling learnt me that the right connector for the card comes under different names: Hirose W. FL, Amphenol AMMC and MHF4.

LtAP is a nice device with lots of possibilities, hope you get it running.
I'm going for RBM33G with aluminum (RB433-style) casing.
That adapter should work. Not sure about the height...it appears the RM500Q module uses a non-standard height, and my adapter didn't have a screw hole at the right setting. For testing, I'm just pinning it down; the case should hold it in place when I put it together if I don't replace the adapter first...

I just got all the parts in and am trying to get mine working now. I had the LTE interface up briefly, but the quickset wouldn't give me LTE options, so I factory reset, and ever since, I get "SIM not present" even though I never touched anything with hardware. Working through that now.

In order to use the RM500Q series, you do need to be running RouterOS 7.x.

JimKusz
just joined

Sun May 15, 2022 8:00 am

Hello!

thx a lot!!
The interesting things I've learned about the M.2 (and mPCIe) is that the slots present multiple interfaces. For the B-key M.2 (like all modems), there is an actual pci express x1 slot AND USB (1/2/3 -- possibly on different pins, haven't dug into that enough). I *think* the card is presenting itself as a USB device even when in the mPCIe slot and M.2 Key B to mPCIe adapter, so it should be fine to use a USB adapter. I'd pay attention to the USB speed of the ports and port mappings, though...each RouterBoard is a bit different. I'm working with the LtAP, and it has 2 mPCIe slots on it. The bottom slot has a dedicated USB3 and an mPCIe interface connected to it, but the top slot has ONLY a USB 2.x slot, which is SHARED with the external USB port. If you want to use the external USB port, you'll need to run a ROS command to switch the USB to that interface (and disable the top mPCIe slot). Also, the external USB port on this model is only usb 2.x; not sure if 5G speeds might exceed that...The bottom slot has USB 3.x.

So...Bottom line, study the hardware for the RB you plan to use to ensure the interfaces are available and learn what commands you might have to run to switch it to the port you intend to use. If it were me, I'd go the internal route (mPCIe to M.2 key B adapter), although I'm also learning that clearances can be a pain...

--Jim

bigboy742
just joined

Wed May 18, 2022 2:54 pm

Looks like I am not the only one that wants to use the RBM33G with a RM502Q-AE. I am going to be installing it in a 4xmimo outdoor enclosure. I plan to use the USB3 on the back of the M33G with a M.2 key B to USB3 adapter. I currently have the adapter hooked up to another non Mikrotik router to host the RM502Q-AE. Now just waiting on my RBM33G to be delivered and it seems to have been lost in the world of our postal system. Another thing that anyone using the RM50x series modems is that they are power hungry radios and the USB3 port of the RBM33G does not supply enough power to operate them. So the usb adapter I am using adds additional power to the RM502Q-AE.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2022 4:06 pm

m.2 key B modules use the smaller connectors MHF4 and proper pigtail must be used.
M33G on mPCIe slots have limit of 480Mbps bcs this is USB2.0 bus.
M33G on USB port can use USB3.0 but adapter must support USB3.0 too.
Sometimes we receive limit of USB EndPoints when we try use two lte modules and only one can be active.

I hope that MikroTik create a new M11G and M33G with m.2 slot for new 5G modems, this will be super. We have now 2x Chateau and one LHGGM who use m.2 slot.

bigboy742
just joined

Thu May 19, 2022 7:03 pm

I hope that MikroTik create a new M11G and M33G with m.2 slot for new 5G modems, this will be super. We have now 2x Chateau and one LHGGM who use m.2 slot.
I hope they will also! On some of their newest boards there is provisions for m.2. So they definitely have something in mind there. Also their road map indicates that there will be a LHG 5G. I'm hoping that has a m.2 slot in it.

Bomber67

Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:39 pm

Finally I got all hardware puzzled together and managed to fire up my RBM33G with the Quectel RM502Q-EA in an M.2 B Key to MiniPCI-e adapter. :-)
When dealing with 2.4 and 5GHz Wifi I never leave an antenna connector open when powering up, just to not risk damage to the RF module.

But what about 4G and 5G cards, are they the same or can I leave some of them open without damaging?
Now I have one dualpol antenna on ANT0/ANT2 and another on ANT2/ANT3. Not too impressing perfomance but that can maybe be attributed to the antenna diagrams.

I can see from HW design manual that ANT1 and ANT2 supports lowband. Can I just use these for 2x2 MIMO (to get hold on n28 700MHz) and leave ANT0 and ANT3 open?
What do you guys do wrt antenna connections?

stevenma
just joined

Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:41 am

Hi,
Does anybody tried to put Quectel RM500Q-AE inside in RBLHGGR&R11e-LTE6 ?
Will it fit ?
Hello @connecting - or another member.

Did you find the answer to this question?

Will the RM502Q-AE fit inside an LHG R antenna - with the appropriate M.2 MiniPCIe adapter?

I have an LHGR which I realise is only 10/100 Ethernet, has the wrong pigtails but in which I wish to use a Quectel RM502Q-AE modem for the CA band possibilities and antenna gain.

I currently have the RM502Q-AE with the MiniPCIe adapter in an RBM33G all inside a Poynting 4x4 MIMO (+ 2x2 WiFi) antenna enclosure which is very well engineered but doesn’t have the antenna gain of the LHGR.

I believe the pigtails will need to be U.FL to MHF4 on the modem.

Any & all responses appreciated, thank you.

cadillackid

Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:40 pm

I am also interested in which RB can take a 5G card and fit in the enclosure..
I have an LTAP mini that with the latest 7.10 firmware and an PCIE to M.2 adapter im able to get my Quectel RM520N working in MBIM mode and I get good speed from it..

however the issue is the card does not fit properly in the adapter as its too long.. and with a heat sink is then too tall to comfortably fit as well..

I tried to run it externally in its own enclosure and connected to the micro USB port of the LTAP mini but doesnt even get seen... on a Hap AC2 it gets seen but with in USB mode I cant run MBIM.. I have to run it as ECM and the MT software seems to have trouble establishing the connection...

id really like to find something that would natively fit and take this module as it really works good and fast when its up and running.. but obviously I cant install klougey systems on customer's site.. it has to be clean..

the LTAP mini is a good solution for 4G LTE like my Telit LM960 or Quectel EM12's... but I want to take advantage of the 5G bands where I can...

-Christopher

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:48 am

Can you guys post some photos of your setups with the RBM33G with 5G :) ? It would be interessting to see how you built it.

Bomber67

Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:52 pm

It sits in my cabin, so I cannot take a picture right here, but will do next time on site.
The setup comprises:
-RBM33G
-MiniPCIe to M.2 B key adapter
-Quectel RM502Q-AE M.2 card
-4x MHF4 (?) to RP-SMA pigtails (very tiny little brother of u.fl.)
-4x RP-SMA "blade" antennas
-Oldschool RB433 metal case

BTW Normis, when will Mikrotik R11E-5G cards appear?
I guess you plan to roll out 5G versions of all your "LTEx kit" devices?

darukza
just joined

Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:43 pm

I have LHG LTE18 device and i am fitten RM520N-EU moden to it.

Is these quectel X62 based cards plug and play things? Yesterday i try Quectel card in modem but antenna connectors was wrong size..

But in management screen i cannot see any band selections.