Community discussions

MikroTik App

derWinky
just joined
Topic Author

Additional cooling for CRS312

Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:20 pm

Hello,
I bought a CRS312 10G Switch about 4 months ago and the first thing I did was to replace the stock fans with Noctua fans.
Most of the time it reports it´s CPU temp in the high 50s or low 60s but it still ramps up the fans up to around 3000RPM when being around the 60°C mark.
The temperature seems pretty reasonable to me, so I was thinking about using the low noise adapters the fans ship with to limit their max RPM.
Something that came to my mind yesterday was I could theoreticaly also use some extra heatsinks (like this one https://www.amazon.de/Easycargo-K%C3%BC ... 617&sr=8-9) on the switch. I attatched a picture in which I marked some possible positions.
Edit: Ok for whatever reason it doesnt let me upoad that image so here´s a link: https://imgur.com/a/5tKjwhC

I´d really like to hear some opinions on that before I actually do it.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Additional cooling for CRS312

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:49 am

Good Morning ,

Do you have any SFP / SFP+ Interfaces connected to your switch ?

derWinky
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:01 am

Hi,
at the moment I am only using the RJ45 ports, but it is possible that I will use 1 or 2 SFP+ later.
But for now it´s just RJ45.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:44 am

Guten Morgen !

I did the same modification on my Mikrotik Switch (CRS328-24P-4S+RM)
I am quite happy with the Upgrade, Fan-Speed is normal (>2000 RPM) and Silent.

Fan behaviour in RouterOS basically depends on PoE-out consumption, SFP temperature and CPU temperature

SFP/SFP+:
I wasn't able to keep the Fans silent with any SFP/SFP+ Interface connected to my Mikrotik.
Especially the RJ45-Interfaces get quite HOT, and the FAN's wont stop spining at high speed or even worse start Pulsing.

CPU:
RouterOS will try to keep the CPu below 58°C
Adding more Mass with small Heatsinks may help to delay the High-RPM Cooling,
but if your CPU-Load doesn't change, the problem will still be there.

The Easy-Solution ist to use the Low-Noise Adapter and see how High the CPU-Temperature goes.
rule of thumb: The higher the Temperature , the lower the CPU life expectancy

Alternatively,
Upgrade Termal-Paste
Airflow-Optimazation
Upgrading Heatsink

derWinky
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:12 am

I put in the low noise adapters yesterday. Fan2 does not start spinning with the low noise adapter attatched, if oyu giv it a little push it will spin fine, but as soon as the fans stop spinning and then spin up again Fan2 will not be able to spin itself up. So atm fan1,3 and 4 are connected to a low noise adapter and 2 without. But when I went to sleep yesterday and went by my switch it somehow felt liek it´s noise was worse than before. Maybe I´m just imagining things but I will check on it over the weekend.
I will also probably buy some heatsinks from amazon to attatch to the stock heatsink. I´m pretty sure they wont do muchbut I guess I´ll give it a try.