Community discussions

MikroTik App

stealth
Topic Author

FLASH life on CCR routers

Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:51 pm

We are small community ISP and have one central router on Mikrotik in use as an internet gateway. We have about 200 internet users and system which automatically checks and updates firewall every day according to bank account payments. About 15 years ago we started with some routerboard which had it's nand toasted within about a three months. So we have migrated to x86 router and changed it several times through the years. Now is a time to upgrade this router again and I would be glad to use some CCR router this time. But I have great concerns about Flash memory life. If there would be any way to replace NAND for SSD or so...
How do you handle frequent changes like firewall for paying customers ? Thanks for any advise.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: FLASH life on CCR routers

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:55 pm

i do thousands of changes automatically on a daily basis on many Routerboards without problem, i think that's not the cause of the issue you are facing

djdrastic

Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:10 pm

Have deployed a couple of thousand CCR's and have never seen nand/flash fails
Have had psus die , rb's not come back after an unclean power out or f/w upgrade and interfaces flake out after time but never seen flash die
You talk about 200 users but we deploy filter acl's with thousands of cidrs / fqdn's with address lists on them via ansible usually on a weekly basis and haven't seen much of an issue.

That said the cheaper boards like the 750 , 950 from back in the day I remember didn't like writing much and would bad block on you eventually if you forgot and enabled graphing and got hit with unclean power outs.
Last edited by djdrastic on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:35 pm

The larger flash capacity the bigger ability to handle wear.

Updating 200 rules once a day doesn't sound that bad. Sure you weren't using graphing or logging to disk/flash?

stealth
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 pm

Thanks to everybody for their experience. I have updated code of our intranet system to first fetch actual IP filter state and to deploy/remove only the difference entries. And when I would globally disable/enable the filter the API client would only enable/disable the last DROP entry. This would minimize the config changes related to payments only to few per month. I hope that the 2004 CCR would handle them as well as our old x86 system. Since we are using IP filter also for data accounting I cannot use dynamic address-list entries. Also have to process all packets this way and cannot automatically accept non-SYN ones.

djdrastic

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:39 am

Stay away from the 2004's at this stage mate as they are still a complete liability at this stage.
Just look at the amount of problem threads on here about them.