Community discussions

MikroTik App

JohnTrautschold
just joined
Topic Author

AvaLAN AW58300

Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:55 am

I've got an AvaLAN unit that died during a storm and power outage. It uses the RB911G-5HPnD board. I plan to purchase a replacement; however, I'm concerned that AvaLAN might have loaded their own software on the board (if that's even possible). AvaLAN wants to charge me close to $1000 for the repair which basically is the price of a new unit. Can you say "rip off"?

John

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: AvaLAN AW58300

Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:29 am

I don't think AvaLAN has a personalised OS on the Mikrotik-Board...
But it definetly has a Unique and Custom Configuration
If you don't have access to Config-Files or Backups it wont be possible to replace the device

Fair / rip off?
AvaLAN provides a all-in-one Solution(key in hand solution) for a very small niche market.
$1000 is a lot for the Hardware itself, but probably "normal" for the Solution

Alternatively you could try and recreate their Network-Solution with your own.
But it will cost you more then $1000.

JohnTrautschold
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:58 am

We did purchase a full replacement unit for $1000, but I thought it would be nice if I could "fix" the bad unit so that we'd have a spare. I took a look at the web interface for the new unit and it does display a RouterOS version. But to your point about custom config files, AvaLAN obviously did something because they do display their name on the interface. The other possibility is to try to fix the bad unit. It won't power up. Since the unit is powered via PoE (power over ethernet) I suspect that the ethernet chip failed.

I haven't checked but I wonder if MikroTik has configuration tools available? They may only make them available to OEMs like AvaLAN though.

Thanks.

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:45 am

I don't think OEM's have different Mikrotik-Tools then we do under https://mikrotik.com/download

Again, you could try and recreate their Network-Solution with your own Hardware.
But if you don't have good Mikrotik and Networking-Skills or you dont know somebody, i wouldn't recommend it. =)

JohnTrautschold
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks Conny. This will probably just turn into a "fun" on-the-side project to see if I can get the damaged unit running. If not, replacement hardware is relatively inexpensive so I may just purchase one to fool around with. Who knows??? :D

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Who knows !! =)

I learned everything i know on 2x Mikrotik hAP ac lite
Routing , VPN's , Wifi , Firewalls, Mangels , VRRP, Wireless P2P, etc..

It's a nice Hobby
i wish you much success in your Networking endeavors

Kind regards from Germany