Community discussions

MikroTik App

BigSky
Topic Author

CRS112 switch low throughput

Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:45 am

I'm seeing performance issues with a few CRS112-8P-4S I've installed this summer. I've never used these switches before, but thought I'd try them.

I'm not using any vlans or routing, just using them as a PoE switch. In the setup I'll talk about here, I have the CRS112 switch (6.48.3) connected to a hEX S router (6.48.3) through the SFP ports on both. There's 6 AP being power up from this switch (48V PoE). The CPU load is running between 15-20% constantly, without much traffic running through the switch.

I'm using the default bridge configuration, that has hardware offload enabled on the ports and fast forward enabled on the bridge.
Screenshot 2021-09-08 153021.png
When I run a bandwidth test between the switch & the router, it maxs out at 30Mbps x 19Mbps.

I'm getting the same results from setups at different locations with ethernet connections between the router & switch, and also with wireless PtP connections between the router and switch.

Is this the limitation of this model? Or is there a programming issue?
Screenshot 2021-09-08 154148.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CRS112 switch low throughput

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:06 am

1) Don't run a speedtest / bandwidth test directly on the devices themselves. These are very slow CPU - 400Mhz. Instead run iperf tests on two devices connected to the switches/routers.

2) If you just connect via winbox, and don't have any interface window open, CPU utilization is under 10%. if you open a window with the interface stats/counters, it will increase the CPU by 10%. I have a ticket open on this, but it probably won't go anywhere. When you disconnect the CPU will run normally.

If you still have issues, post your config.

BigSky
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:14 am

Thank you biomesh. I'm only running the bandwidth because this particular site is far away. The customer is complaining about performance issues, so I log in via Winbox to "see" what's going on. I'll seeing this same issue on a few other installations I've done this summer, like I said. I'll try to get on-site to do further testing.

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:07 am

Config export would really help. But from the looks of it, if it's only running as a switch and getting 100% cpu, the bridge is mis-configured not having hardware offload enabled. Or you have enabled 'use ip firewall' in bridge settings, which will also run much of the traffic though the cpu.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:48 am

To rule out winbox as culprit for CPU load, connect to the switch via ssh and run /tool profile cpu=all for a while to see if a) CPU is high or normal and b) what process is consuming the CPU.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:39 pm

Sounds like your running everything through the CPU. Post complete /interface ethernet configuration and. /interface bridge port print .

BigSky
Topic Author

Re: CRS112 switch low throughput  [SOLVED]

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:28 pm

Thank you all.

To rule out winbox as culprit for CPU load, connect to the switch via ssh and run /tool profile cpu=all for a while to see if a) CPU is high or normal and b) what process is consuming the CPU.

Per @mkx suggestion, I looked at the CPU usage through SSH instead of Winbox. It looks like Winbox adds 3-5% to the CPU load.

I was able to go on-site to a similar setup and test directly through a CRS-112, and the switch performed as it should. Easily handling tests of this 100Mbps circuit to Internet. Like @biomesh suggested, the onboard Bandwidth test maxed out the switch's CPU which capped speeds at around 30Mbps.

These switches are not the source of my customer's issue after all.