Community discussions

MikroTik App

miasik
Topic Author

mAP lite power from hAP ac lite

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:29 am

Hi!
I want to power "mAP lite" with POE from "hAP ac lite" powered with DC jack. Is it ok? Will this chain work fine?
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB952Ui-5ac2nD
https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAPL-2nD

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mAP lite power from hAP ac lite  [SOLVED]

Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:19 pm

Yes, you can connect one mAP lite to port ether5.
Please consider before buying if you really want "lite" devices as there are known limitations with them.
(they are the cheapest you can get but they also have the lowest performance, least memory, etc. but it could be OK for you)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mAP lite power from hAP ac lite

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:00 pm

hAP Lite, hAP Lite TC and hAP mini have memory limitatios and use the SMIPS processor.
For the versatile "hAP ac Lite" , I only see the "standard Lite limitation" of 100Mbps ethernet speed ports.
All Lite devices are 100 Mbps. Some people get surprised by the "Fast ethernet ports".

hAP Lite and hAP ac Lite are quite different devices.

miasik
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:44 pm

Thank you guys!

I need at least one device in order to use it as an dual-band repeater and I think "hAP ac lite" is a good and cheap solution.
In a good case I'll use only one device("hAP ac lite").
In the worst case I need to change the repeater mode for 2.4Ghz on "hAP ac lite" with the station mode and connect(and power) "mAP lite" by Ethernet as an AP in order to change the original channel.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 am

hAP ac Lite is a perfect fit for this. (I even power it with a MQS and power bank) as Repeater (pseudo bridge) or just station (with NAT & masquerade) depends on what you want others to see from your network.

Sometimes I combine it with the mAP Lite on ether5 as WAN port, because in the mAP Lite I do auto detection of all my known networks as repeater and also make VPN connections to my home "TURN" server. Turn server is a hAP Lite @home (the cheapest box) found via DDNS that combines all my VPN connections.

viewtopic.php?t=169032#p833474

It could all be combined in just the hAP ac Lite. With the hAP ac Lite you always have an active AP even as the other band is used as repeater and still searching for the AP to connect to.(what is a potential problem with the mAP Lite)