Community discussions

MikroTik App

cascom
Topic Author

5G/LTE MODEM mPCIe slot speed

Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:24 pm

I want to put my Quectel RM502Q in to a routerboard or other MikroTik device min PCI express slot and get full benefit of speed available from the 5G/LTE network I connect to.
When I use the SXT-LTE I only get about 120Mbps tops and with the LHGG I get speed tests as high as 320Mbps.
My understanding is the in those devices the mPCIe slot is tied to the USB 2.0 bus.
Are there other devices I can use that have faster mpcie bus speeds?

Thx

RogerWilco

Re: 5G/LTE MODEM mPCIe slot speed  [SOLVED]

Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:00 am

The Ethernet port on the SXT side would be the bottleneck. The newer LtAP might have USB3 - look up the CPU specs to see. Other than that you’ve got the Chateau.

There isn’t any newer devices with integrated antennas unfortunately.

cascom
Topic Author

Re: 5G/LTE MODEM mPCIe slot speed

Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:04 pm

The Ethernet port on the SXT side would be the bottleneck. The newer LtAP might have USB3 - look up the CPU specs to see. Other than that you’ve got the Chateau.

I saw the SXT has only 10/100 that is why I upgraded to the LHGG with Gigabit ports, not dead set looking for integrated antennas... I'm okay with a routerboard or any device with mPCIe on a USB 3.0 bus.
The Chateau might be okay for some of my indoor situations but 95% of what I do is outdoor. Just like the LHGG I'd have to burn a MikroTik MODEM but could be worth it in long run. Thanks.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:32 am

I saw the SXT has only 10/100 that is why I upgraded to the LHGG with Gigabit ports, not dead set looking for integrated antennas... I'm okay with a routerboard or any device with mPCIe on a USB 3.0 bus.
The Chateau might be okay for some of my indoor situations but 95% of what I do is outdoor. Just like the LHGG I'd have to burn a MikroTik MODEM but could be worth it in long run. Thanks.
wAP ac R is outdoor, miniPCIe, USB 3.0 and comes without modem as option (RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD).

cascom
Topic Author

Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:38 pm

wAP ac R is outdoor, miniPCIe, USB 3.0 and comes without modem as option (RBwAPGR-5HacD2HnD).
[/quote]

Nice, just ordered one from Baltic, now I just need some extra antenna ideas so I can make it 4x4 MIMO

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:13 pm

Nice, just ordered one from Baltic, now I just need some extra antenna ideas so I can make it 4x4 MIMO
You drill out the holes on the bottom of the unit to connect an external antenna, there 4 spots. So you need the right pigtail length with right combo of SMA[/QMA] to U.FL[/IPEX4] pigtails, plus some external 4x4 MIMO antenna.

The only issue with the wAP ac R is it has only 16MB Flash - so it will never run WifiWave2. Unlike the MIPSBE-based LtAP, the wAP has an ARM CPU, so it can run Zerotier under V7 which is pretty handy with CGNAT'd LTE for remote access.

cascom
Topic Author

Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:41 am

You drill out the holes on the bottom of the unit to connect an external antenna, there 4 spots. So you need the right pigtail length with right combo of SMA[/QMA] to U.FL[/IPEX4] pigtails, plus some external 4x4 MIMO antenna.

The only issue with the wAP ac R is it has only 16MB Flash - so it will never run WifiWave2. Unlike the MIPSBE-based LtAP, the wAP has an ARM CPU, so it can run Zerotier under V7 which is pretty handy with CGNAT'd LTE for remote access.
So does the LtAP have the USB 3.0 bus? Would that be better for the mPCIe speed?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:54 am

So does the LtAP have the USB 3.0 bus? Would that be better for the mPCIe speed?

The "full" LtAP has two miniPCIe. While the bottom miniPCIe is USB 3.0 and has two SIM slots, the top miniPCIe is USB 2.0 (and one SIM slot).
See the block diagram: https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/LtAP-2HnD_211117.png
(You'll note if you use the top miniPCIe , the USB port cannot be used)

Now if you look at the performance specs, you'll note the ARM in the wAP is slightly more powerful than the MIPSBE in LtAP. Additionally, the wAP lists for US$70 less than the LtAP, so if you're planning on only one modem, the wAP R ac is pretty handy.

We've used wAP and LtAP, but IMO if you want two high end modems, using two wAP devices gives you some hardware redundancy+VRRP. While the 8 SMAs needed for 4x4 MIMO with two modems inside makes the LtAP pretty bulky - in same case this may be handy. But the flexibility of the wAP is why we generally use them.

cascom
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:30 pm

[/quote]
We've used wAP and LtAP, but IMO if you want two high end modems, using two wAP devices gives you some hardware redundancy+VRRP. While the 8 SMAs needed for 4x4 MIMO with two modems inside makes the LtAP pretty bulky - in same case this may be handy. But the flexibility of the wAP is why we generally use them.
[/quote]

I am not having any luck with the LtAP setup. It does not come up as 192.168.88.1 after any reset, netinstalls, etc. I have tried 6.8, 6.9, and 7.1 OS netinstalls but only the mac appears in winbox. Is this a problem with the architecture? my mipsbe loads on LHGG units are so easy... this mmips is a problem because I can't restore my mipsbe config file over.
Do you know how to export and import the sections I need like interface, dhcp, etc. or is there a way to convert a mipsbe config to mmips?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:46 pm

I am not having any luck with the LtAP setup. It does not come up as 192.168.88.1 after any reset, netinstalls, etc. I have tried 6.8, 6.9, and 7.1 OS netinstalls but only the mac appears in winbox. Is this a problem with the architecture? my mipsbe loads on LHGG units are so easy... this mmips is a problem because I can't restore my mipsbe config file over.
Do you know how to export and import the sections I need like interface, dhcp, etc. or is there a way to convert a mipsbe config to mmips?
If you can get in with winbox+MAC address, I'd really recommend V7. If your testing, 7.2rcX line has a lot of LTE fixes vs 7.1.x. Once in, you can try to use QuickSet with the "LTE AP" mode, which should get you a working configuration, hopefully with 192.168.88.1 on ether1 of LtAP. You will have to adjust the 2nd LTE interface once in (e.g. enable "lte2", set an APN Profile, etc.) since QuickSet doesn't deal with multiple LTE modems. THEN, you can review/copy/merge any firewall or IP configuration you need from LHGG units.

But typically the harder part, may be whether the LTE interface show up... since the modems you're using may require configuration using "AT commands" to get into the right MBIM or ECM mode etc. to even work.

cascom
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:00 pm

[/quote]

If you can get in with winbox+MAC address, I'd really recommend V7. If your testing, 7.2rcX line has a lot of LTE fixes vs 7.1.x. Once in, you can try to use QuickSet with the "LTE AP" mode, which should get you a working configuration, hopefully with 192.168.88.1 on ether1 of LtAP. You will have to adjust the 2nd LTE interface once in (e.g. enable "lte2", set an APN Profile, etc.) since QuickSet doesn't deal with multiple LTE modems. THEN, you can review/copy/merge any firewall or IP configuration you need from LHGG units.
[/quote]

I used Winbox to get in via the MAC address and put 7.1.3 OS on it so it would detect my LTE MODEM (RM502Q)
We get internet access on the device only, it will not pass internet to the ethernet port or wireless,
The internet is there because I can check for and download updates, I can also go to terminal and run a speed test to know servers.
Quickset does not help either on any ot them in the list, they don't have any IP pre-populated like the other routers with mipsbe architecture... I can't change country from esti to usa either.
Any chance you have an mmips arch config to spare?

cascom
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:47 am

But typically the harder part, may be whether the LTE interface show up... since the modems you're using may require configuration using "AT commands" to get into the right MBIM or ECM mode etc. to even work.

I used Winbox to get in via the MAC address and put 7.1.3 OS on it so it would detect my LTE MODEM (RM502Q)
We get internet access on the device only, it will not pass internet to the ethernet port or wireless,
The internet is there because I can check for and download updates, I can also go to terminal and run a speed test to know servers.
Quickset does not help either on any ot them in the list, they don't have any IP pre-populated like the other routers with mipsbe architecture... I can't change country from esti to usa either.
Any chance you have an mmips arch config to spare?