Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hamo61
just joined
Topic Author

Which Router for good VPN speed?

Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:24 pm

Hi,
i have two RB951Ui-2HnD Routers. I have them in two different locations. One is the VPN server in location A and the other one is the VPN client in location B.
I'm not really happy with the speed of these routers, when enabling the encription. I need some recommendations for an upgrade :)
I would like to have at least 40 MBit/s with good enctiption on, but also not the most expensive one. Usage will only be for VPN.

So which routers fits to my expectations ?

thanks for your time,
Hamo61

jrypacek
just joined

Re: Which Router for good VPN speed?

Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:46 pm

What kind of VPN do you use? Try wireguard and maybe your HW will be sufficient. I'm using it on RB750GL and it's 2x - 3x faster then OpenVPN with good encryption.

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Which Router for good VPN speed?  [SOLVED]

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:10 am

if you are looking for something cheap the hex-s or the hap ac 2 should be a good option, if you would like something a bit bigger you would be looking at the 3011 or the 4011.
The main thing to note is some of these devices are marketed towards being a VPN router (like the hex) since it has 'hardware encryption' but there are actually a lot of devices that support this, I would suggest looking over the following table that will show you what devices and what modes it supports with hardware acceleration:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... celeration

Hamo61
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:25 am

if you are looking for something cheap the hex-s or the hap ac 2 should be a good option, if you would like something a bit bigger you would be looking at the 3011 or the 4011.
The main thing to note is some of these devices are marketed towards being a VPN router (like the hex) since it has 'hardware encryption' but there are actually a lot of devices that support this, I would suggest looking over the following table that will show you what devices and what modes it supports with hardware acceleration:

Thanks. Yes i think i will buy the hex-s (or hex) and the hap ac 2. It has a good speed and fits to me. I was searching for the cheapest solution and this two devices should be.

chrisfr
just joined

Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:26 pm

Before buying new router, you can try wireguard with your RB951.
look at this test :
https://www.reddit.com/r/mikrotik/comme ... ce_on_old/

Hamo61
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:55 pm

What kind of VPN do you use? Try wireguard and maybe your HW will be sufficient. I'm using it on RB750GL and it's 2x - 3x faster then OpenVPN with good encryption.
I'm using IPSec.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:01 pm

Hamo61
I'm using IPSec.
I never reach more then 50Mbps per single VPN at RouterOSv6 and only combine two type like L2TP/IPSec with PPTP give me more even on CCR1009.
On CCR1072 with >200 vpn users I not reach more then 180Mbps. Maybe new ros7 give new option (they must support OSPF).
Be aware that new hardware who works only at ros7 can not have enabled HW acceleration or can be improved in future.

Hamo61
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:06 pm

I don't have much expirience in VPN. I just want to make a very secure VPN between 2 locations with a distance around 2500km. I want to reach at least 40 Mbits with the highest security enabled.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:04 pm

I don't have much expirience in VPN. I just want to make a very secure VPN between 2 locations with a distance around 2500km. I want to reach at least 40 Mbits with the highest security enabled.
Then no problem. DIstance is not problem until you not have big latency and loose package.

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:36 am

[/quote]

Then no problem. DIstance is not problem until you not have big latency and loose package.
[/quote]
unless it is a TCP tunnel then latency will significantly degrease the throughput as well as the issue with tpc over tpc

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:38 pm

RB4011iGS+RM you can reach up to 200kpps of hw accelerated ipsec, it has a robust single tunnel performance because of the 1400mhz cpu clock
rb4011 supports routeros 6.x and 7.x

CCR2004-16G-2S+ you can reach up to 378kpps of hw accelerated ipsec it has a roubust single tunnel performance because of the 1700mhz cpu clock
ccr2004 is routeros 7.x only so you have to verify if your config behaves well on routeros 7.x

CCR2116-12G-4S+ until today does not have published hw accelerated ipsec performance numbers but is expected to be the champion in this matter because of 2000 mhz cpu clock so we will have to wait for those numbers
ccr2116 is routeros 7.x only so you have to verify if your config behaves well on routeros 7.x

ARedwan199
just joined

Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:08 am

Thanks. Yes i think i will buy the hex-s (or hex) and the hap ac 2. It has a good speed and fits to me. I was searching for the cheapest solution and this two devices should be.
I know this is an old post. But I am struggling to find a proper hardware for IPSec, as I have an rb450gx4 which is advertised to reach a minimum of 20mbps but it cannot reach even 10mbps. Can you please let me know if hex-S or hap ac 2 is able to reach 40mbps or more? I have a cisco 5525-x on one end and an RB450Gx4 on the other to establish the site-to-site tunnel.

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:59 pm

@ARedwan199 you should be getting a lot more than 10Mbps on a rb450gx4 using IPsec, must be either a configuration issue or a bottleneck between the routers. High latency between the routers will also be a limiting factor. Non symmetrical connections will be limiting also. You should create a new post with your issue and configuration export (hides sensitive information).