Community discussions

MikroTik App

jamescoletti
just joined
Topic Author

RouterBOARD RB532A & RouterOS beginner tutorial

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:53 am

Hey all,

Replaced an old Netgear router with an RB532A and running the latest version of RouterOS - everything went smooth and I'm extremely happy with the hardware and software. Well done, MikroTik team.

Anyway, I documented the initial setup and configuration on my blog and it may be helpful to new folks scouring the forums for a step-by-step tutorial. It's a work in progress so I'll be adding more as time permits - feedback welcome as well. The URL is: http://www.jamescoletti.com/electronics ... -tutorial/

Let me know if it's useful... or a painful read :)

GotNet

Re: RouterBOARD RB532A & RouterOS beginner tutorial

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:59 am

Pretty cool; well done.

Maroon-bellied here and a Finsch's on the way... :)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:20 am

for dhcp i would use setup button, or /ip dhcp-server setup and there you will be asked for everything you need for dhcp configuration

also for bare basic satup - you could use /setup command in console to set up basic configuration.

jamescoletti
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:57 pm

for dhcp i would use setup button, or /ip dhcp-server setup and there you will be asked for everything you need for dhcp configuration

also for bare basic satup - you could use /setup command in console to set up basic configuration.
I agree the built-in setup command is easy but certainly going through the motions of the WinBox GUI and step-by-steps for navigating the command line interface (which I plan to add) is going to help someone learn more and satisfy those who are looking to go beyond just getting something working. I'll make mention of the command though, thanks!

GotNet

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:47 pm

I rather like the OP method. Teaches where the setup commands do not. Ever come accross a router with 6 or more dhcp pools?