Community discussions

MikroTik App

FattyAcid
just joined
Topic Author

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life of TILE-based CCR

Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:59 pm

Does Mikrotik publish End-of-Sale/End-of-Support dates?

The TILE processor was discontinued this year by Nvidia:

https://network.nvidia.com/files/pdf/eol/LCR-000851.pdf
https://network.nvidia.com/files/pdf/eol/LCR-000901.pdf

Has Mikrotik stopped manufacturing TILE-based CCR models or are they continuing to make them until their in-house supply of TILE processors is gone?

Any idea when Mikrotik will stop releasing updated RouterOS that supports the TILE-based CCR models?

Thanks!

mjezierski

Re: End-of-Sale and End-of-Life of TILE-based CCR

Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:00 pm

Reason for Termination: Low Market Interest

Was Mikrotik the only company utilizing these processors in any mass quantity??

icosasupport

Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:09 pm

I also would like to know when the EOL for CCR 1072/1036's is. We have a couple hundred of them in production and some are at their end. We've replaced some with our own stock, however the question remains, will there still be some to purchase or should we be considering the CCR ARM replacement?

This tweet from IP Architects suggests sooner than expected.
https://twitter.com/stubarea51/status/1 ... PAivwrAAAA

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:55 pm

End-of-sale might indeed be closing fast. However EOL/End-of-support is a very different thing in Mikrotik world (at least it used to be until now) and I expect it's still many years away. If MT was to EOL their CCR1xxx family, I don't think they'd bother making ROS v7 for that platform.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:07 pm

if you ask me since CCR 2xxx arrived is a clear path to upgrade to leave CCR 1xxx behind, Tile GX products are 10 years old, dont have any path to upgrade so is clear it will be leave behind

icosasupport

Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:08 pm

End-of-sale might indeed be closing fast. However EOL/End-of-support is a very different thing in Mikrotik world (at least it used to be until now) and I expect it's still many years away. If MT was to EOL their CCR1xxx family, I don't think they'd bother making ROS v7 for that platform.
This is true, however all the upgrades in the world with no hardware to run them on is more my concern.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:31 pm

already discussed in another topics, we adquired the bad habit of buy MIkroTik devices in a retail way

at least for some time we have to change to a plan ahead way, like the rest of the industry, plan ahead your purchases several months, i have seen ccr1xxx available on some distributors, so if you really need then buy it now

no more waiting until a router fail to buy its replacement

plan ahead

icosasupport

Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:33 pm

Yes, we plan ahead, especially with having a couple hundred router devices in service. However those devices die at the hardware level and if everyone else is "planning ahead" then there will inevitably be a shortage or none at all. So in the interest of planning ahead, I would really like to know direct from Mikrotik when their supply is going to be exhausted and how that will trickle down to the local VARS. So far, I've only seen vague verbiage about this topic, when it would seem like an easy thing to go and count the stock and give a clearer answer to availability and supply exhaustion.

Does Mikrotik have millions in stock or just a few hundred? How many are slated for the VARS ? What are the VARS customers looking to purchase, 1, 2, 1000 CCR's, who knows? Given the current situation in global supply shortages even if they still had some they could produce what's the lead time on them? If we exhaust our stock and look to purchase more what would that wait time look like? I'm sure there's other ISP's out there with many units who would also be in the same situation. This again is where planning ahead comes in, should we be considering moving to the CCR2216-1G-12XS-2XQ instead?, if so we'd have to start ordering and planning soon, however without a firm idea of how long the current stock will last that's hard to plan for. We're talking enterprise level planning here, which doesn't move fast so the wider the window the easier is it to make decisions.

A bigger problem arises with moving to the CR2216-1G-12XS-2XQ, scripts have to be updated, API's are different, golden configurations are different, interfaces are different. It's no easy task having multiple different configs running at the same time on different device types when we have so many to manage. For someone who has 1 or 2, sure this is an easy task, not for us unfortunately.
Last edited by icosasupport on Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:01 pm

It seems that most questions are asked far far too late as the LTB happened 6 months ago and production line is closed as last shipments happened 2 weeks ago.
This is the crucial answer is the answer to:
Does Mikrotik have millions in stock or just a few hundred?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:39 pm

Yes, we plan ahead, especially with having a couple hundred router devices in service. However those devices die at the hardware level and if everyone else is "planning ahead" then there will inevitably be a shortage or none at all.
I think the most common hardware issue in CCR devices is failed power supplies. That should be "repairable" for some time.
However, I recently got a request to submit budget 2023 items and it would be prudent to specify some new routers.
Unfortunately, CCR2xxx cannot run RouterOS v6 and we cannot use RouterOS v7 due to the lack of BFD support.
Interesting times ahead...

icosasupport

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:52 pm

Most of ours die from uncontrollable environmental issues. 99% of the time the bootloader is stuck in a loop, prob a corrupt MMC. Also where we are there's no real repair option for them, especially if they're stuck in a kernel panic boot loop. Netinstall usually doesn't save them from that in our case.

icosasupport

Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, CCR2xxx cannot run RouterOS v6 and we cannot use RouterOS v7 due to the lack of BFD support.
Interesting times ahead...
Sounds like it's time for whitebox Vyos! :o

FattyAcid
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:07 am

This tweet from IP Architects suggests sooner than expected.
https://twitter.com/stubarea51/status/1 ... PAivwrAAAA
FYI, IP Architects' tweet is just referencing my post on Reddit r/mikrotik. And I'm the person who started this post here. Apparently I'm the first person who stumbled upon the EOL notices from Nvidia?

So I don't think IP Architects has any inside info and is just intelligently speculating. For all we know Mikrotik put in a huge order for TILE processors before they shut down the production line. I doubt it but who knows.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: End-of-Sale and End-of-Life of TILE-based CCR  [SOLVED]

Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:06 am

almost 10 years have passed since the release of the first Tile-Gx- based MikroTik ccr 1036 12g 4s

i think what is surprising is not that we are now reaching EOL but that we would not have done so long ago

great respect to this platform and all the development that MikroTik did to get the most out of it

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:08 am

i think what is surprising is not that we are now reaching EOL but that we would not have done so long ago
Probably the relatively large investment in Tile support for Linux by MikroTik has motivated them to cling on to this architecture and not move on to the more modern SoCs that are now used in the CCR2xxx series and that required a lot of development (either developing the same thing again, or switching over to a much more recent kernel as is now done in v7).
Without that situation, we probably would have seen this move a lot earlier.

(and because this new v7 was taken as an opportunity to rewrite the entire autorouting subsystem(s), and this took much more resources than anticipated, we still are stuck in a situation where the new CCR2xxx routers have a buggy and limited implementation of e.g. BGP)