Community discussions

MikroTik App

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

ax plea

Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:25 pm

Guys, @Normis etc, I know you see posts like this often but please read mine and consider.

So many of us are really really REALLY wanting to see some outdoor ax gear from mikrotik. 4x4-8x8-connectorized AX radios in 5Ghz, 6Ghz to follow.

I love mikrotik, it's one of my favorite brands. The movement on ROS7 has been incredible and I'm really excited about the company.

In contrast:
ubiquiti is ubiquiti and I find myself hanging on their every EA release hoping for outdoor AX APs, from a company that seems to not care about it's customers.
cambium, oh man, love hate here too. Another big price hike on already expensive gear from a company making big profits. Their 4500/4600 products seem to be really delivering for beta customers. But these price hikes and frankly, the arrogance of the company... every time I start moving towards cambium products something comes up and I remember how much I really dislike them.

Mikrotik, save us from this. Announce something. Give us some timelines. Give us some products. We're ready.

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: ax plea

Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:41 pm

Already posted here viewtopic.php?t=190239 without an answer

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: ax plea  [SOLVED]

Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:33 am

We are working on new AX products in all categories.

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:32 pm

Thank you for the answer Nomis, we have a large network of +4300 of Mikrotik wireless cpe, and AX AP with legacy mode to manage a slow hardware switching 'll be great.

Hope to hear news soon form MT.

Thank you again

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:16 pm

We are working on new AX products in all categories.
Good to hear a confirmation. Do you guys expect to get some hardware out by February or March?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:19 pm

To answer this and all related questions in other topics - well, most likely you have heard about global chip shortages. In one way or another, this affects all industries. Sometimes existing plans need to be changed to other chips, sometimes orders are delayed, etc. It is harder than ever to predict when a product will be available, if we are talking about devices in early stages of development.

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:20 pm

Normis all of us knows about the chip shortage but it's different to know that you are working on AX gears for WISP... great news :-)

But as I said the other vendors are hitting the market now with first avaliable products just cpe, PtP solutions or mixed 60 ghz/ 5 ghz solutions.

In the last 11 years we spent about 1 milion of euros in mikrotik wireless outdoor products and our network is still based on it.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:48 pm

To answer this and all related questions in other topics - well, most likely you have heard about global chip shortages. In one way or another, this affects all industries. Sometimes existing plans need to be changed to other chips, sometimes orders are delayed, etc. It is harder than ever to predict when a product will be available, if we are talking about devices in early stages of development.
I can appreciate this for sure.

Here's kinda where my thoughts are. We have multiple vendors in the space, the two most visibly in the need are both looking at this as a way to start generating reoccuring revenue essentially by renting us the management of the product in some form or another. Ubiquiti has teased that they're launching as well by selling an 'ax CPE in their beta store. I know that doesn't mean that mikrotik should magically produce something, but to say something like 'we are hoping to launch some 5Ghz wifi6 outdoor products in 6 months' would be quite welcome... and here's why.

I'm going to have to deploy multiple vendor products. dont worry, mikrotik is getting my router buys ;), so I'm already going to be multi-vendor. I'm planning out about a year and I'm making big purchases to try to protect myself against supply chain issues. So, do I order up a huge mimosa order or a huge cambium order or should I anticipate some wifi6 hardware from mikrotik in June 2023?

These other products have a specific design process, they want to by a tower on the hill with 4-8 sectors and 25dB CPE with all the fancy features enabled. I've asked repeatedly for a micro-pop solution and it's just not interesting for them. When we start talking mikropops, we have the foundations of a rock star in the Omnitik PoE, it just needs a CPU upgrade, a 4x4 (or 8x8) antenna arraged in like 4 180 degrees overlapping (like mimosa's A5 or N5-omni) or 8 90s etc... and the wifi6 chip to back that up. We don't need GPS sync, we don't need coloring, etc. An SXT or DISC 2x2 CPE and you've solved the micropop. Do some pro CPE with 4x4, or swap the omnitik setup for a netmetal with 4x4 or 8x8. That's really the entire product line I'm looking for. I would be stacking this on top of mikrotik 60Ghz gear as well. I'm going to make another post on 60Ghz so I wont make this one any longer than it is. Frankly, I'd be pretty happy with the current netmetal and a wifi6 4x4 mini-pcie card today with the prospect of an upgrade in 2023..

Thanks for reading. You guys are awesome and I just want to see this wifi6 stuff come along so I can get back in bed with mikrotik on wireless.

Thanks.

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:29 am

Normis any update? Thank you

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:26 pm

Syadnom,

I have also been forced into Cambium. But for indoors.

There are real quirks that annoy the crap out of me. But when I brought them a show stopping bug... They actually fixed it. I have found other things for them that should have been fixed in QC. But from what I can tell, these "bugs" / issues have been present in the system for years. Which makes me have absolutely zero faith in "dealers who have used it for years."

However... Once I bitched enough... Cambium actually sat there and went over the bugs with me, one by one. Screen shares with engineering and lots of support files later... They have addressed all the issues I brought them. After 1 year of this... I might actually be able to put their wireless in our systems.

Flip side of that, i have an email from Mikrotik that I immediately point sales too...

It's from 2019. It's the product of months of back and forth between me and Mikrotik about issues at installs. With customers screaming and yelling. Losing clients right and left... It states: we have identified the issue, and at this time don't have a fix. We will let you know if or when we do.

That was a real eye opener. It was the moment I realized that I had better "get over it" and move on to another manufacturer.

Abandoning a lot of really great stuff I could do with caps-man. Because basic connectivity was flakey.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:31 pm

@gotsprings - I imagine your issues with mikrotik fall under the umbrella of 'routeros <=6 feel so far behind that many issues are fundamentally unfixable'.

Every bug I've submitted on routeros7 has been fixed in weeks.

I have not had your luck getting bugs with cambium fixed.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:32 pm

@gotsprings - I imagine your issues with mikrotik fall under the umbrella of 'routeros <=6 feel so far behind that many issues are fundamentally unfixable'.

Every bug I've submitted on routeros7 has been fixed in weeks.

I have not had your luck getting bugs with cambium fixed.
With Cambium, The one that made the units unusable for MDUs... Took 5 months to make it to the developers and get it fixed.

With Mikrotik the same old problems with the same old radio driver are still there. Infact some new issues have even pooped up, when I updated old sites.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:15 am

With Mikrotik the same old problems with the same old radio driver are still there. Infact some new issues have even pooped up, when I updated old sites.
Which has pretty much been established can't really be fixed in v6. v7 is very active in wifi development and the wave2 drivers are quite good, though lacking features.

I'm unable to use wave2 drivers for a number of things so I'm also stuck with the old, waiting on those features.

Mikrotik has straight up told us that v6 has hard limitations and that the fixes will come with v7.x. We're all dying for some of these features, but it's just not worth complaining that v6 features aren't complete etc because they cannot be fixed with reasonable dev effort. Might as well just call v6 'routeros XP' and accept that all fixes and updates have to be in v7.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:54 am

Syadnom,

The issue there is that even in router OS 7... The current radios can't use wifiwave2... 7 years after the ratification of ACv2.

I can't subject clients to that.

I look forward to the AX devices... But they ain't going anywhere near a paid install for several months AFTER I BEAT THE F--K out of them across all my test locations.
Last edited by gotsprings on Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:44 am

Mikrotik based WISP needs asap an AX outdoor legacy solution to stay on the market and compete with other WISP based on Cambium and Mimosa have already released AX hardware, Ubiquiti will hit the market close in the next months.

ONLY MIKROTIK IS MISSING!!! No news only silence.. chips shortage is only a fake to hide other problems.

We wait for some words from MT...

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:15 pm

Mikrotik based WISP needs asap an AX outdoor legacy solution to stay on the market and compete with other WISP based on Cambium and Mimosa have already released AX hardware, Ubiquiti will hit the market close in the next months.

ONLY MIKROTIK IS MISSING!!! No news only silence.. chips shortage is only a fake to hide other problems.

We wait for some words from MT...
Not sure what 'AX outdoor legacy solution' is.... specifical 'legacy'

Normis has already say they have 'AX products addressing all lines in the works, so not silence. I do wish for more information and what their goals are though.

server8
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:15 pm

Legacy = works with old mikrotik wave2 cpe

If I have to start with a new AX network there are already solutions on the market now form other vendors