MikroTik App

sergeda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Routerboard as switch is it possible?

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi all.
Is it possible to configure routerboard with 5 ethernet port to be a switch and router all in one? Say 4 ports configure as switch and one as Wan link? It will be good small router for home or small buisness.

maximan
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Routerboard as switch is it possible?

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes, you can do it.
Just create an bridge(rstp), add the ethernet ports and ready!.
Switch layer 2/3

Max
http://maxid.com.ar
http://mikrotikexpert.com

sergeda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Thank you a lot.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:51 pm

It is also possible to use bridge chip functionality on RB150, RB192, RB153 and use several ports as one - this way traffic is not going trough the CPU - so even on RB100 you can get 100Mbps full duplex without any problems.

sergeda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:26 am

It is also possible to use bridge chip functionality on RB150, RB192, RB153 and use several ports as one - this way traffic is not going trough the CPU - so even on RB100 you can get 100Mbps full duplex without any problems.
Wow.
Can you give more detailes? How could I get this result?

ericsooter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:29 am

I would also be interested in this. Sometimes I have need for a decent ethernet switch that is POE powered. If it could be used in switch mode at wire-speed that would be fantastic. I remember this being talked about in the the forum about a year ago and it wasn't available at the time.

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:07 am

It's really easy.. Lets say you have a RB153 and you want to make ports 3,4, and 5 into a switch. Open interfaces, double click on ether4 and set the master port to ether3 and click OK, then double click on ether5 and set the master port to ether3 also.

That will switch together ports 3,4 and 5. Just remember you will loose the ability to set ip's or anything with ports 4 and 5. You will have to set them on the master port(port 3 in this example)..

Hope that makes sense..

-Gerard

ericsooter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:58 am

Very nice. I will try it out.

Eric

tomaz_borstnar
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:57 pm

I tried to use this method in order to save running one extra dumb switch for IP phones. I created bridge group on additional 5 ethernet port card on RB532A - i used 3 of them - one for connection to VDSL modem/switch and two for 2 phones. Phones were unable to get data from DHCP server which worked fine either directly or via dumb switch. Because of that I had to ditch this idea for now and just use extra switch. I used MT OS 2.9.50 if I remember correctly.

Hotz1

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:57 am

I am trying to do something similar: use an RB153 to aggregate four DSLs, preferably with some sort of load-balancing and fail-over capability. Each DSL may be from a different ISP, with either a static configuration or DHCP, etc.:
           _____  DSL1   _____
          |     |  \    |     |
DSL2 --->1|  1  |   `->1|  X  |
DSL3 --->2|  5  |       |  c  |---> LAN
DSL4 --->3|  3  |       |  o  |
DSL5 --->4|     |5---->2|  m  |
          |_____|       |_____|
We currently have DSL1 and DSL2 going directly into ports 1 and 2 of a dual-WAN router. We want to continue to use the router for port-forwarding, so the idea is to plug DSL2 and three other lines into the RB153, and direct its output to port 2 of the dual-WAN router, as pictured above.

I thought it might be as easy as Bonding the DSL interfaces, and then Bridging that to the LAN interface. Things are rarely as easy as they look. :? But am I on the right track? What am I missing?

BuccaNET

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:51 am

I'm new to MT so I haven't quite firgured out how to do both load balancing AND failover. I'd like to know how to do both. But load balancing is fairly easy. Just add each gateway into the MT.
/ip route add gateway=DSL2,DSL3,DSL4,DSL5
If one of the DSL has twice the bandwidth, put it in twice.
Take a look at the Static Equal Cost Multi-Path routing and Standard Policy-Based Routing with Failover at http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3.0/ip/route.php

Just noticed you had DHCP too. I don't how this would affect it.

Good luck,

Cory

CarulloS

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:04 am

I just did some testing because I was curious about this...

Minirouter 5-port

TEST 1 (bridge mode)
from eth1 to eth5 lan test via two computers through the router with v3.6
port 1 and 5 bridged
tcp throughput standard settings just about 43MB max.

TEST 2 (switch mode)
same test with eth 5 set to master port eth1 (thus enabling switch mode)
tcp max throughput was about 80MB I think - it was significantly more and the cpu was bypassed for the most part - wasn't busy at max throughput.

Problem I could not overcome...
Prior to running tests above I added IP address to eth1
in bridge mode I could ping the ip address of eth1
in switch mode I could not talk via IP to either eth1 or eth5 no matter what I tried.

This would lead me to believe that I could use this as a managed switch but I lose all routing / ip abilities on any ports in "switch mode"

What would be extremely useful would be to have this configurable as say a standard router from the store in switch mode for higher throughput. 1 port was wan IP other 4 in switch mode with internal dhcp and lan ip configs for client devices. Is this possible? A $30 router from the store has less performance hardware but it can do this? Is there no way to achieve this, am I missing something? It simply may not be possible due to the implementation here but I wanted to ask....

Scott

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:09 pm

I just did some testing because I was curious about this...

What would be extremely useful would be to have this configurable as say a standard router from the store in switch mode for higher throughput. 1 port was wan IP other 4 in switch mode with internal dhcp and lan ip configs for client devices. Is this possible? A $30 router from the store has less performance hardware but it can do this? Is there no way to achieve this, am I missing something? It simply may not be possible due to the implementation here but I wanted to ask....

Scott
I think that is exactly what Gerard was describing. The port 3 is the master, being the lan side interface, and the ports one and two could be wan/dmz or wan1/wan2.

CarulloS

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:24 am

I tried to test it like this - did not work for me.

Scott

Ente
just joined

Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:35 am

This is exactly what I want to do with a RB192, great post!

If I understand correctly the RB192 has 2 switch chipsets, one for ports 1-5 and the other for 6-9. I can successfully configure ether2 as master with slaves 3,4,5 and ether6 as master with slaves 7,8,9. ether1 is a DHCP client to my office switch and gets an IP for internet access. My output on /interface ethernet print shows that Switch 0 contains ports 1,2,3,4,5 and Switch 1 is 6,7,8,9. Ok thats all good so far...

But the problem is getting both of these switches to route out ether1 to the internet. One of the switches has access to the internet, but the other only distributes IP's via DHCP. I think I'm confused on how to even configure this properly.

So far I have 2 pools (pool1,pool2), 2 DHCP servers (one for pool1, other for pool2), an IP address on ether2 (192.168.1.1) and ether6 (192.168.1.2). The ether6 switch cannot get out ether1, but the ether2 switch can, so I tried putting ether2 and ether6 together as a bridge with no luck.

I'm lost. :?

CarulloS

Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:00 am

This entire topic is useless except as the subject implies you can use ports of some rbs as switch ports that do indeed operate faster than when just regularly bridged. Once you set a master port on the rb and put certain ports into switch mode you ---> can not <--- add an ip to them or otherwise use them in any routing type function. I may be wrong, but I tested this myself and was unable to do so. If someone has done this successfully then raise your hand.

Until then - yeah its a great concept, but only wishful thinking.

Scott

sergeda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 pm

It's really easy.. Lets say you have a RB153 and you want to make ports 3,4, and 5 into a switch. Open interfaces, double click on ether4 and set the master port to ether3 and click OK, then double click on ether5 and set the master port to ether3 also.

That will switch together ports 3,4 and 5. Just remember you will loose the ability to set ip's or anything with ports 4 and 5. You will have to set them on the master port(port 3 in this example)..

Hope that makes sense..

-Gerard
I've tried it today with RB150 and may say it really works. 1st port I configure as wan, 2nd as local with ip address. Set DHCP, DNS, firewall rules etc. to be able to serve clients on port 2. Then set the master port on ports 3, 4, 5 as mr. Gerard said. And I've got switch on ports 2-5, from wich I can browse internet, connect to ip address of port 2 to configure RB. Also I've tried to copy files between two computers connected to ports 2 and 3 and works without load on CPU.
Thank you mr. Gerard for sharing this infos.

CarulloS

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Glad it works, I'll have to try it again with another rb and the latest os.

Scott

daiceman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Is this still possible with 3.15? I am trying to find how to do it, but can not locate the option for master interface.

Thanks in advance

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:52 pm

what model of routerboard do you have? this is not available in all boards, only the ones with bridge chip

daiceman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:30 pm

RB532 with 564

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:14 am

that one doesn't have a switch chip. only 150, 192, 450 and 493 (i think)

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:22 pm

This is exactly what I want to do with a RB192, great post!

If I understand correctly the RB192 has 2 switch chipsets, one for ports 1-5 and the other for 6-9. I can successfully configure ether2 as master with slaves 3,4,5 and ether6 as master with slaves 7,8,9. ether1 is a DHCP client to my office switch and gets an IP for internet access. My output on /interface ethernet print shows that Switch 0 contains ports 1,2,3,4,5 and Switch 1 is 6,7,8,9. Ok thats all good so far...

But the problem is getting both of these switches to route out ether1 to the internet. One of the switches has access to the internet, but the other only distributes IP's via DHCP. I think I'm confused on how to even configure this properly.

So far I have 2 pools (pool1,pool2), 2 DHCP servers (one for pool1, other for pool2), an IP address on ether2 (192.168.1.1) and ether6 (192.168.1.2). The ether6 switch cannot get out ether1, but the ether2 switch can, so I tried putting ether2 and ether6 together as a bridge with no luck.

I'm lost. :?

I do not have one of these but I wonder can you bridge switch0 and switch1? Does anyone know if the 492 has the same problem of two bridge chips. I was about to buy 6 of them for the purpose of having poe powered switches.

el berto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Yes, you can do it.
Just create an bridge(rstp), add the ethernet ports and ready!.
Switch layer 2/3

Max
http://maxid.com.ar
http://mikrotikexpert.com
Excuse me, but if I have to use a RB as switch inside a mesh network, should I create a bridge (rstp), then create a mesh and add ethernet ports as port in mesh?
Thanks.