Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

oscarBravo
Topic Author

IPsec hardware requirement

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi,

Reading the manual page on IPsec, it mentions that it's CPU-intensive, and recommends a Pentium or K6 processor. I want to set up a VPN from a central office to several home offices, and was planning to use a RB600 at each location - will it have the horsepower for (a) the client side, and (b) the server side, for up to ten clients?

Thanks.

oscarBravo
Topic Author

Re: IPsec hardware requirement

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Apologies for bumping, but I really need to make a purchasing decision by tomorrow.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:26 pm

yes that is enough hardware. The pentium or k6 is in comparison to a wrap board and is old information.
Network Administrator
Kansas Hosting and Wichita Data Centers

oscarBravo
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks, I suspected as much.

The next question is: assuming a 600 as the server, would a 133 be up to speed as an IPsec client?

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:08 pm

I have used the folowing setup with a central data center to user connection and multi offsite..

Data Center: Super Micro 1X Xeon 1U 1GB ram..
User location via 2X T1 (bound) (80 users outlook to exchange terminal services etc): Super Micro 1X Xeon 1U 1GB ram..

ISP COLO (Phone switch (analog, no net)) Fax server connected to phone switch then VPN to data center for exchange connection.. RB500

New building: RB500 (durring build out)
New building: Super Micro 1X Xeon 1U 1GB ram.. (after data center move)

What I am trying to get to is the "Hub" in the design needs the horse power and memory.. as it has to handle the connections for ALL the satalite offices.

I had a second unit of the same power, as I has 80 users behind it using it like a local net.... (Local data IE PST files ets were local to the users on a portable server)

Depending on the user load, lonk size IE DSL, T1, Wireless will affect the equipment sizing.

And remember, Over size the main unit (the unit they all connect to) you will always connect more to it than you orriginaly planned.....

Drop Butch Evans a line (just google the name) he has set this one up before (he helped me set mine up originaly)...
I still use this setup to connect my logistice center to my opperations center.....

WORKS GREAT !!!

Just my observations...
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm"...

Craig