Community discussions

MikroTik App

medo
just joined
Topic Author

Netinstall 3.7 destroys RB532(A)??

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Old Netinstalls (like 2.9.38) with any 2.9.x are working fine for me.... until I try 3.7 - then RB532(A) becomes unusable. I downloaded latest Netinstall 3.7 + RouterOS 3.7 mipsle for three new RB532A. One had 2.10 BIOS, others 2.12.

Netinstall works fine until after "Formatting disk...." message. Netinstall software says:

"Transferring routeros-mipsle-3.7.npk" and nothing happens. My network adapter on my PC is sending data to RB532A, but there's no receive. Eventualy it gives up saying "no response from router: timeout". Before that, serial console on RB532A says:

FATAL ERROR: bad network connection
Press ENTER to reboot

Of course I changed few cables, ran Netinstall on two different machines including freshly installed laptop - no luck. Tried all BIOS versions from 2.6 to 2.12 and formatting NAND every time, still no luck.

Then I took two year old RB532 (not A) that was working just fine until today on ROS 3.3 and after Netinstall 3.7 I have black metal brick. After failed Netinstall 3.7, it seems I cannot revive these RouterBoard by any combination of BIOS version, Netinstall or software package.

I installed over 300 all kinds of RouterBoards and PC with DOMs in the last 4 years to our customers and never experienced anything like this so far. Just to let you know I know what I'm doing :)

Anyone had any similar experience?

Ente
just joined

Re: Netinstall 3.7 destroys RB532(A)??

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:50 pm

I just tested this on a 532a and it updated successfully. What did you set the IP to when you click "Net Booting" in Netinstall and what did you set your NIC to on your notebook?

I use 10.1.1.1 on Netinstall and 10.1.1.10/8 on my notebook as an example.

odie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:30 pm

use a good switch (hp, cisco, AT)between notebook and routerboard
helped here

medo
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:13 pm

Guess what!? Seems that I have managed to reproduce the problem by accident.... Netinstall doesn't like innotek VirtualBox software even after it has been uninstalled.

I just took freshly new installed PC and everything worked fine. But then I installed VirtualBox and uninstalled it after an hour of use (did created some virtual interface though), I reebooted PC and Netinstall 3.7 didn't work and 2.9.38 crashed RouterBoard failing to boot and reporting exceptions.

I haven't got time work much about this issue, but I'll come back to it maybe in monday. Many of PCs and all of mine HAD VirtualBox installed at least once and who would thought....