Community discussions

MikroTik App

sarpkaya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

What are you going to replace now?

Sat May 03, 2008 2:49 am

Hello, I am going to buy RB 600 but it is going to be replaced with newer, So I want to learn what will be the newer version of rb 600.
Because I paid approx. 200$ for RB 333 included shipping and there is newer version of that which is 99$ I am so angry that I "waste" my 100 bucks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: What are you going to replace now?

Tue May 06, 2008 1:46 pm

Well, I have some bad news for you - everything that is made right now (not by mikrotik, I mean everything) is eventually going to be replaced by a newer product.

The good news is - the old ones will still work and be supported :)

What do you suggest, no progress at all?

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 06, 2008 6:53 pm

Well, I have some bad news for you - everything that is made right now (not by mikrotik, I mean everything) is eventually going to be replaced by a newer product.

The good news is - the old ones will still work and be supported :)

What do you suggest, no progress at all?
:) I assist this. The only thing to blame is the problem of
changes to things which need no progress:
- Mounting holes (I would like all boards with 4 holes at the same places)
- Power: I would like one Powersupply which runs all boards (Anyone here
who has no killed 500 board nailed to the wall ;-)))

Keep one picture in mind: A lonely system admin on a cold rainy sunday night
on a high telco-tower 100km away from office. He has a power supply in his
left hand and a router board in the right. His last two words before jumping
down the tower: "48 Volt".

Stefan

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 07, 2008 8:48 am

- Mounting holes (I would like all boards with 4 holes at the same places)
already done. all new 400 series have same connector layout and hole locations.

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 07, 2008 11:03 pm

of course we like progress in everything but not like this , its killing your products by your hands .. rb333 , rb133 and rb411 may god have mercy on thier souls ..

QpoX

Thu May 08, 2008 12:04 am

When you buy a new computer, a car, a cellphone or a televison, the day you buy it... it's ooold and out-of-date.
And a new version has been weeks, months underway.
Mikrotik has (like most company's) new product's in the mixing bucket.
And when they launch a new product, a new one is ready to replace it...

*A new child is born every day*

(I'm not saying that Mikrotik does this, but most do!)

samsoft08
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 08, 2008 12:53 am

its not like that at all .... Mikrotik is saying Dont buy RB333 cause we have better than it , half price ... and why is that ? no one knows ..!!

QpoX

Thu May 08, 2008 2:04 am

Mikrotik can say that because there is a better deal or else it was a lie.
The best way to not have people "waste" money is to drop the RB333 now and wait 2-3 months, to no one have them in stock and then launch the RB433 for $99.
In the last 4weeks or so i have bought about 6x RB333, $600 wasted? no... because they work, they do they job and is still cheap (if you look at the other vendors).

Like when you are at the supermarket and buy something, and the next day 50% off... It's to get customers in the store...

But you can bounce numbers to make it a not look like you wasted money... buy 100x RB433, then you have paid $100 for the RB333 and $100 for the RB433 :)

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 09, 2008 5:51 pm

of course we like progress in everything but not like this , its killing your products by your hands .. rb333 , rb133 and rb411 may god have mercy on thier souls ..
The rb411 is alive and well. It is positioned at the low price end of the RB400 line and replaces the rb133c.

Tom

CommNet2
just joined

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:08 pm

The rb411 is alive and well. It is positioned at the low price end of the RB400 line and replaces the rb133c.

Tom
I was shocked at the price for the specs of the board. Very excited about the 411 and deploying it on the network :)

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:58 am

I agree with the previous post almost completely. The RB600 is probably the best current RouterBoard in my opinion. This is because it can have daughter boards, has an OK mini-pci layout and multiple ethernet interfaces.

It really annoys me that Mikrotik are so focused on Wireless, I and no doubt many others on here could sell a hell of a lot more RouterBoard's if they had decent IPSEC support e.g. Industry standard route based VPN's (virtual interface for each tunnel, that can have dynamic routing run over it for example)

We have many customers that have a big Juniper, Fortinet or Cisco box in their head office running route based IPSEC, then have a small Netscreen/Fortigate/Cisco 8xx in the branches to terminate the tunnels. We would much prefer to have Mikrotik RB450's in the offices but the IPSEC support is not "complete" enough :(

gustkiller

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:45 am

In my opinion I love MT more than Cisco and others, as for its functionality. But I find now that the entire product is slipping drastically because of shotty hardware that is too concentrated on wireless. I just hope that MT will soon realize that their original product is a routing OS and not a wireless OS.

Again it does no good having a ROUTER that can use every single wireless board, and have all sorts of nstream and other protocols... But when the ROUTER can't properly support ROUTING and its associated functions properly, there's a problem.

I'd rather have the boards designed to fit one or two vendors (Ubiquity etc)... And have the routing functions actually WORK, instead of having millions of drivers and functionality for wireless, but not have any of the routing functions working properly for many many OS releases and patches.
i really agree with your opnion and i would really love to see a RB 2000 with some ASICs to run a lot of routing functions via hardware and delivers a milion plus Packets per second with 64bytes packet :)

SweetSunday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:33 am

I canvassed many of the points made in this thread in my earlier 'R.I.P. 532' thread, and would say again that I would still be buying the 532 if it was available as 1. it was reliable, 2. it fitted the boxes I use, 3. with daughterboards it was incrementally expandable, 4. it was fast enough and had enough memory for my purposes and (most importantly) 6. I could abuse it in all kinds of ways and it would still work.

In that thread I think it was as above, Normis who made the point that progress happens - except there he called it evolution. But evolution - and progress - are effected by improving on what went before and worked. Too much of the new stuff coming out is *not* an evolution of what worked before, making it better, but a stake through the heart of the old tried-and-true in favour of the new and experimental which we PBI in the trenches have to make work, sometimes all over again.

Yes, the 600 might be 'better' than the 532, yes the 133 might be 'better' than the 112 but it's only better on paper - the betterness doesn't make a jot of difference to the way I deploy these things in the field nor actually make them work any better because what went before worked perfectly well and didn't need improving, but it hugely complicates matters in that I now have to use different boxes and PoE injectors depending on whether I'm using 'old' stuff or 'new', particularly as I can't just replace a 532 with a 600 or a slip a 133 into a CPE which had been using a 112 with a 48v PoE.

Evolution and progress are great, but change for the sake of change is just a marketing tool and it sometimes seems to me that's what we're getting.

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm not that experienced with Mikrotiks but I remember my first training course. I thought I was going to learn all about firewalls, routing and VPNs etc. Half the course was on wireless and I didn't even know that Mikrotik did that. I needed a multi-wan router and it seemed to do the job. As kewlkeed said, you now battle to find a board with multiple Ethernet cards to plug into various WAN connections.

I suppose your customers end up driving your business at some stage.

wwalcher
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:54 am

I totally disagree with the the above three or four posts. I own a wireless internet service provider company. I have one MT router (Intel-based) at my connection point to the internet that does not do wireless. I have hundreds of MT Routerboards with wireless cards functioning as AP's and CPE's on my network. And there are thousands of other companies like mine around the world. So, it is entirely logical for MT to focus on their wireless boards, because that is where the majority of their sales are coming from.

And for those complaining about the quick transition to new boards, would you prefer to not have the 400 series? Not have the 433, a superfast 3 port board for $99? Not have the 411, at $59 CPE that is powerful enough to do just about anything, including Nstreme? From my point of view, keep it up, MT!

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:54 pm

The 433 is 3x faster and 1/2 the price of the 532. It retains the same bolt pattern as the 133. I like the 433 for these reasons.

I just wish there were more outdoor case options for it. As my sites grow in traffic volume, I will replace the 532's with these and reuse the 532s for low traffic volume use.

wehrhard
just joined

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:06 pm

I agree with you. With the new Atheros CPU (300 and 680 mhz) I can do almost everything I need. I am a WISP as well and have hundreds of boards in usw. The 532 was/is stable, thats right but in the past I had very often problems with the performance (I swap the 532 time after time) which I don´t have with 411/433/433AH and RB600. And if I need more performance I take a 1,2 Ghz Intel/VIA PC and have more performance than I can transmit over Dual Nstreame in Turbo-Mode. Sometimes I use PC-Engines (500 Mhz) as well, they are fine and fast. They are fast enough for one of my Backbones. It is a 36 MB 5 Ghz link with turbo and compression in Bridge Mode: Througput up to 45 Mbit/S TCP in half-Duplex over 18 km. That´s not to bad...

PS: I had tested 2 x 433AH on my desk with the link above and it worked very fast as well, but without compression which is not supported in RB433XX. And this performance for 250 Euro, what di you want more?