Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jjbutler88
just joined
Topic Author

RB411/A with ADSL?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Hey all,
Just ordered a 411/A, gonna be with me tomorrow, just thought id ask, what will I need to do to get this to be my home AP? I have an ADSL modem, will I just need to plug it into the ethernet port on the board? Are all ADSL modems supported? And will using a seperate ADSL modem slow my connection speed down? The modem I have is not a router, but im pretty certain its a PPPoE system, will this be ok?

Thanks

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB411/A with ADSL?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:47 pm

If is acting as a bridge device is is JUST WHAT YOU WANT.
Let it handle the ADSL signaling, and let the RouterOS do the rest... :D
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm"...

Craig

jjbutler88
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:46 am

Trust me, if I could get away with not using it at all, I would. Im not so sure it will be that easy though, we shall see when it arrives tomorrow. I have an existing netgear DG834N router/modem/the works, can I switch off all those features and get it to just be a modem? Does anyone have an example setup with a routerboard and an ADSL modem?

Thanks

jjbutler88
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:51 pm

Ok, so its arrived, and ive assembled it, connected and assigned it an IP. I cant seem to get wireless working, but thats probably because im using an old card I salvaged from a netgear router. More worryingly however, I cant find any option or tutorial for connecting to an ADSL modem. Even using the winbox GUI, there still doesnt seem to be a modem/ADSL section at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

titius

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:16 am

First of all, you have to use ATHEROS based wireless card. dont know what is in netgear.

In mikrotik there is no ADSL tools, support. But, Im using my ADSL router just to establish connection with the ISP and use PPPOE client in MT to connect to it, so I have public Ip address in MT and can use all of its magic then :) .

jjbutler88
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Yeah, finding this out as I go, the netgear's card is a TI111 chipset, so il just get one of mikrotik's R52H Cards to ensure compatibility. Also I have discovered my adsl modem has only got modem and USB ports, no ethernet, so it looks like I will have to get another modem. Any suggestions for good ones? I still have a working netgear all in one, could I just turn all but the modem off and use that?

Cheers,
Jon

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:41 pm

I have an existing netgear DG834N router/modem/the works, can I switch off all those features and get it to just be a modem? Does anyone have an example setup with a routerboard and an ADSL modem?
Try this on the netgear;
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm\

You effectively want to set it in bridge mode.

Then on the mikrotik take a look at this article on the wiki;
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/How_to_Co ... _xDSL_Line

Configuring this is the easy part. Try this and let us know.

Hope you find a card for the routerboard.
Regards
Hilton