MikroTik App

ginovilla
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

redundant power supply platform

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:33 pm

Hello all

Im looking for a redundant power supply mikrotik router platform for towers and NOC, should be:

Small form factor ( 1u, 2u )
Low power consuption
4 - 6 Gigabit Ports

Any ideas? or should I just hack a RB1000 for dual power supply input?

bellis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: redundant power supply platform

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:58 pm

why wont hooking the rb into your ups not work?

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Anything DC powered, you can hook multiple power supplies in parallel. Nothing fancy needed. Two power supplies and the loads wired to a bus style connection for example. If a power supply loses power, the load increases on the remaining.

You can't really do that so well with AC, as you start mixing phases and distorting waveforms and voltages.

bellis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 am

so you don't care about a rb with dual power input with auto switching, your looking for a piece of hardware that has 2 separate power supplies that will autoswitch for the router board. have you looked into simply using a 12v battery wired to the rb, and a charger/power supply to maintain the battery? if that works for you look for a device called a powergate, commonly used by ham radio operators and tower applications. not sure if they make a rack mounted version

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:22 pm

For the noc. I have had success with hp dl380 3.6g xeon on ebay w 2x power and. 2g ram for$400

dankerr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 pm

We've deployed almost thirty RB1000 because of their low cost for edge firewalls; replacing Cisco PIX and Watchguard Firebox. They are a great unit, but designed to be inexpensive yet powerful. I think adding redundant power would greatly increase their cost.

For larger systems we've been using Dell or HP servers and getting onsite 4hr hardware support. We've had great success with HP DL140, Dell PE860's and R200's (although none have redundant supplies). We use the PE860's and R200's, because we have hundreds deployed in non-routing functions; so we have many spares available. I can verify that a Dell PowerEdge 2950 runs ROS nicely and they do have redundant power supplies. An eqivalent from HP would be a DL380; but we haven't tried ROS on a DL380 as of yet.
For the noc. I have had success with hp dl380 3.6g xeon on ebay w 2x power and. 2g ram for$400