Community discussions

MikroTik App

Montana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB493ah ethernet ports stop routing then restarts

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 am

I have replaced a RB333 with a new RB493 because I needed the extra ethernet ports and the faster processor. I took a backup copy of the 333 and installed it in the 493. Everything came up and worked fine. I made sure I put the ap's back on the right 3 ethernet ports. I am running 3.13 now as 3.20 did weird stuff to my network. It looks like ether3 just stops for some reason and then restarts a little while later. What I mean by stop is it shows no traffic but shows it is connected. I manual disable port3 and re-enable it and it works fine for a while. I just now disabled the 100m auto negotiation and set it to manual 10meg on both ends thinking that I somewhere read there was a negotiation problem. I am using OSPF for my system. Any thoughs?

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB493ah ethernet ports stop routing then restarts

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:00 pm

Greetings! Seems like there is a rash of routing challenges with these. Just to eliminate the possibiltiy of it being what the others have been, would you be so kind as to show me the output of
/ip address print
and
/ip route print
if it does not compromise your security.

tucker

Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:37 pm

I have a very similar situation on RB450 and RB1000 - so similar it seemed too much to be coincidende.

On an RB450 a Billion 5200 ADSL router connected via eth3 works intermittently. It initially appears fine but shows jittery ping from RB to Billion router - linked with a single CAT5. Then the ping will randomly stop working. ARP ping continues to work and the DSL is seen in the ARP table but no response from the router.

On an RB1000 connected to a Netgear switch in data centre the port occasionally stops routing packets. A stop and restart fixes the problem and a netwatch pinging upstream router triggers such a script. When set to autoneg it gets 1000mbit fdx. When autoneg is disabled and forced to 100mbit fdx the port never shows this problem.

Each RB is running 3.20 firmware. Have tried multiple RB450 (we have over 50 in stock which is worrying!) and random sample shows the same problem.

Any similarity or suggestions in common? It does start to make me worry about stability of 400 series and 1000 series especially when 1000s are installed in remote hosting locations.

nolis
just joined

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:17 pm

This is NOT a "routing" problem. It is a problem with autonegotiation between the Routerboard(s) and the switch(es). I have experienced same problems with (many) RB 493 AH and RB 433 AH. After some time and without serious traffic load, suddenly only the Tx seems to work, while Rx is stuck in zero (0). It makes no difference if you disable/enable the ethernet port in Routerboard (I have repeated more than 50 times this method in each rb). It makes no difference if you change port to the switch. It makes no difference if you connect the "crashed" ethernet port to ANYWHERE (another routerboard, switch, ethernet card etc). The specific Routerboard ethernet is simply dead (!!!). All the other ethernet ports are working ok, unless if you try to connect them to the switch where they also "crash" after a few hours. ONLY if you restart the Routerboard the "crashed" ethernet port goes back alive, until the next crash.
A workaround with this problem seems to be a manually setup for the speed of the ethernet AND the switch (if possible,only when you have managed switch). Try 100 Mbps Full Duplex in both devices. In some cases (3com baseline switch like 2948,2924,2916) there is NO solution so far. Even with Routerboot 2.19 and RouterOs 3.22 THE PROBLEM STILL REMAINS!! Of course you see NOTHING in logs, and supout is practically useless since it also shows NOTHING. It is not a matter of "complex" configuration, since by adding 2 ip's in routerboard (one on each ethernet) and a gateway and putting it to work, the ethernet that is connected to the switch crashes again after a few hours.
You can "solve" 100% this problem by replacing the Routerboard with a pc box. It also seems that RB600 is NOT affected so far as I can tell (I am still testing though). I will soon have news regarding this issue with other versions of Routerboard (I have a collection with almost all routerboards). I cannot recommend any other solution for your problem. Normis THIS is a SERIOUS problem....

LP

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 pm

This is NOT a "routing" problem. It is a problem with autonegotiation between the Routerboard(s) and the switch(es). I have experienced same problems with (many) RB 493 AH and RB 433 AH. After some time and without serious traffic load, suddenly only the Tx seems to work, while Rx is stuck in zero (0). It makes no difference if you disable/enable the ethernet port in Routerboard (I have repeated more than 50 times this method in each rb). It makes no difference if you change port to the switch. It makes no difference if you connect the "crashed" ethernet port to ANYWHERE (another routerboard, switch, ethernet card etc). The specific Routerboard ethernet is simply dead (!!!). All the other ethernet ports are working ok, unless if you try to connect them to the switch where they also "crash" after a few hours. ONLY if you restart the Routerboard the "crashed" ethernet port goes back alive, until the next crash.
Just wanted to add our experiences.....

We are having a very similar issue. We have RB493AHs that we have been using since it seems we cannot get daughterboards for the RB600s (which have had NO problems for us on probably 30 towers or so). We are experiencing the port lockups, but even more, about 75% of the time that one of the ports lock up the whole router becomes "locked" and a reboot is the ONLY way we can get them stable again. Here is what I have found to cause these lockups:

Plugging in a new piece of equipment (even my laptop to any port)
Rebooting an existing piece of equipment that is plugged into the router
Re-inserting a plug

Now, as these things do not always cause a lockup on the port or router, it is more often than not, and any for that matter is too much in the field. Sometimes we can reboot equipment with no problem- the next day or week rebooting the same equipment causes either the port to lock up or the whole router.

Some have reported that using lower voltage PSUs (other than the 24V we are using) solved the lockup problem, however, this did not help us even when we used 12V PSUs.

Hopefully this problem is solved quickly as we basically cannot use these at all with this problem.

fr4
just joined

Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi have the same problem,

I have a network of 60 AP-Routers and i use RB500,RB600 and i have over of 20 RB433AH, ALL RB433AH have this issue, the ethernet stop of work , and i must go in the tower to restart manually the Devices... This is a very urgent problem, we have a lot of disservice and ours customer are very furious, we need other radio for expand our network but we can't buy other 433 if this problem not is solved.

It's ridicule that a wisp company have problem in to ethernet connection :(

Please stop to enhance wireless protocol and spend two cents for fix this trouble, because this is very urgent :'(

Bye FR4

P.s. disable autonegotiation not solve the problem

Trisc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Yes we have similar problems with RB493AH - ethernet ports not performing properly - looks like autonegotiation/full duplex problem. Have tried everything but cannot resolve it.

Have sent supout file to support.

TheCowStir
just joined

Re: RB493ah ethernet ports stop responding

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:33 am

We are also having this problem on our 493AH that we use as our core distribution router (no wireless cards).

We seem to have this problem one of the remote sites connected to a port has a power failure (which would coincide with the low traffic). Last night the three sites that we distribute bandwidth to through this device all lost ip connectivity to/from this RB493AH even though the link was up and CDP/neighbor information was passed. MAC-TELNET doesn't work either.

We don't have any switches connected to these ports but do have a variety of devices used as wireless backhauls connected with less than 50 ft of cable all auto/negotiating to 100/full:
Motorola 5.2 10 Mb backhaul
Mikrotik 433 used as a backhaul
Trango 5.8 backhaul

Last night all three of these links would not pass traffic until the device was rebooted (via software). We have two more backhaul links on this 493AH that go to our ISP, one is a Mikrotik 433/433AH set and the other is a Ubiquiti NS2 set and those both have stayed (able to pass IP traffic).

We use the following features on this RB493AH: OSPF, VRRP, NTP Server, DHCP Server, NAT, and the "protecting your router" firewall rules listed in the wiki to block brut force ssh and ftp access.

We had the same problem on a 433AH that we previously had replaced with this 493AH. We have 2 other 493AH devices, and 7 433/ah devices in the network at this time none of which seem to have this problem all running similar features, just less bandwidth. The problem 493AH is handling about 10 Mbps agregate traffic for a WISP at high usage, and about 3 Mbps agregate at low usage times.

Mikrotik: Any ideas? I have a support file taken from this device while it was not accepting traffic if it will help.

mh1
just joined

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:29 am

Hello

The same, Rx hangs, happens with 4 port gigabit ethernet adapter
(VT6120/VT6121/VT6122 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev: 17)) too
with routeros v. 3.25

awsmith

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:28 am

We have seen problems on our 493AHs where ether1 works just fine, but ether2-9 will degrade significantly in performance, and then altogether stop working (RX-wise at least).

We just had an issue about an hour ago where we plugged in a new device into ether9 while ether5, 6, and 8 were in use, a comment was added to the interface, and all ports except ether1 locked up. The on-site tech could only get into the Routerboard via ether1.

The RB433AH was running 3.18, reboots did not work. When it was upgraded to 3.24, it started working again.

However, I have seen this problem on 3.25.

struck
just joined

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:33 am

Hello people, I have the same problem. I have three RB433AH (RB1 RB2 and Rb3), and the RB2 and Rb3 are connected on ports ether2 and ether3 of RB1, and is exactly the same problem that nolis said. We need a fast reply for this issue, Mikrotik team. Regards,

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:44 am

Hello

I too seem to have this problem
I have rb433ah plugged into Cisco
Every few days ether1 stop passing traffic, reboot fix's

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks

:-)

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Can you please provide exact device model to which routerboard is connected?

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Its in a datacentre, I'll email and ask

struck
just joined

Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm

In my case are three RB433AH, RB1 and RB2 connected in RB3. The RB1 and RB2 simply stop responding after a few hours. If you need more information please ask. We need to resolve this.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Is ether1 is used to connect to RB3 or any other port?

struck
just joined

Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Is ether1 is used to connect to RB3 or any other port?
This is connected as the image attached. All ethernet ports are on bridge1. When the problem happens, I tried to swap the ethernet ports but not resolved. I tried to disable auto-negotiation but not resolved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:00 am

Its a Cisco 3560G

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:12 am

For you guys that are having problems.

What radio cards are you using and what Slots?
Did you restore config to this device from another?

Thanks

struck
just joined

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:58 pm

For you guys that are having problems.

What radio cards are you using and what Slots?
Did you restore config to this device from another?

Thanks
"RB433AH 1" - three R52
"RB433AH 2" - two R52 and one R52H
"RB433AH 3" - one R52 and one R5H

I configured the mikrotik from the default setting, I didn't restore config from another mikrotik.

Regards,

LP

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm

We are not using any wireless cards. We connect to Trango BHs and Canopy APs at the tower sites. Configuration is from default settings for most, and some upgrades from RB600s- both having the same issues.

Thanks,

schiele
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Greetings!

Wondering if this issue has been corrected from MikroTik yet, I have the same poor results from 2 of the RB493's deployed at a couple of Hotels, the one seems to be more reliable than the other, but I still have to remote reboot this device every other day for a quick fix. I have RB1000's and RB450's and RB523's that are rock solid but it would be nice to get this working 100% on the RB493's as my clients are stressing me out with complaints....rightfully so!

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

rsturgeon32
just joined

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 am

I am also having this issue. Seems it locks to the point where we can get web access to it but not winbox, then it will degrade further to where you can't get winbox access to it either. we are using version 3.26 I was curious if a 3.28 upgrade would help. Any help would be appreciated. we have 2 of these and both do the same thing with or without wireless cards in them.

Tommie

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:58 am

I'm using some RB493AH routers with 3.19, and although I don't have any problems, this thread makes me nervous to upgrade them or to buy more in the future because of these random problems that seemingly have no solution.

Has there been any additional findings/solutions for these problems? One thread here seems to indicate that it is hardware related, as they can swap identical boards with identical configs and the problem only exists on one of them.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:46 pm

I bought a batch of 10 RB493AH when my local supplier priced them wrong (411 price).

I have had to replace them *all* due to unreliability.

Instant Karma they call it.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:01 am

Were the replacement RB493AH units reliable???

It is quite frustrating to know that when we order this unit, we may or may not get a reliable unit. I wish this could be sorted out.

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:38 am

I bought a batch of 10 RB493AH when my local supplier priced them wrong (411 price).

I have had to replace them *all* due to unreliability.

Instant Karma they call it.
Was that just a bad batch? Did you successfully replaced them with another set of RB493AH? I'm about to order a few rb493ah with future plans to utilize other 8 ports. However if there are issues than I'll get rb411ah now and replace them later as needed...

thanks!

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 am

Everyone with this problem should reinstall this boards using netinstall and upgrade to the latest firmware. If you are still having these issues you should report support@mikrotik.com with steps of reproduction and supout.rif files.

TheCowStir
just joined

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Is there something specific about performing the upgrade with netinstall over an inplace upgrade that is/will cause additional problems?

Also what version are you expecting that has fixed this problem? RouterOS and firmware versions.

Thank you for your response.

Todd Volz

kez

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:56 am

I'm with this same problem.
All ethernets stop to works. I've one interface with static arp and all 5 others with arp "enabled".
I downgraded mine to 400MHz and the problem remains.
I exchanged the power supply and the problem remains.
It's like a Linux box when ethernet module crashes, you can see in ifconfig, but it doesn't works.
I can see all ethernets in /interface but no one works.
Serial console continues working while ethernets are crashed.
I upgraded to v5.0b1 but I still have the same problems.
My RB493AH is working with watchdog to google dns. When it is dead, the RouterOS restarts the RB943AH and everything is normal again.
But this is not a real solution.

Supporters, we need a solution, a real solution!!!

dimsot
just joined

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 am

Any news ?
I have the same problem.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:06 am

Any news ?
I have the same problem.
The same problem with ROS 3.13? It is topic - 3years old.
Now we have ROS 5.23. Try upgrade :)

dimsot
just joined

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:15 am

model: 493AH current-firmware: 3.02 upgrade-firmware: 3.02 and ROS 5.23

NyvenZA
just joined

Thu May 25, 2017 8:33 am

Has this issue been resolved by Anyone? Has anyone been able to find out what causes the Ethernet ports to "pause"
I have been having this issue for the last couple of months. I don't get any errors in the logs. I have Winbox (3.11) open monitoring the traffic going through the internet connections ( 2x PPPoeE) connections through 2 different Ethernet ports. (Port 4 and 5).
When the issue occurs, I can see that both Ethernet connections has 0 packets on RX, but TX still shows packets. And it happened on both ports at the same time. Only eth4 had a lot of traffic before and after the issue, eth5 was basically idle.
I am connected to the RB493AH via eth9 and it doesn't stop. I can still see winbox updates.

Could this be a switch chip issue? I am going to try and move the one connection to a an eth port on switch1 to see if the problem persists, but I have not been able to reproduce the issue, it seems random.
ROS v6.39.1